Habitat - Indoor :: Exo Terra basking dock

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:32 pm   

I just picked up a large one up after going to 4 different stores. I like it way better then the Turtle Dock I had.
RES Mei (4")
Eastern Painted - Red (3.7")
User avatar
Mauk
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Markham, ON

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:48 pm   

Grandpoohbah, what size did you get?
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:30 am   

untsmurf wrote:Grandpoohbah, what size did you get?

Large.
User avatar
thegrandpoohbah
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Oct 14, 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:11 am   

thegrandpoohbah wrote:
untsmurf wrote:Grandpoohbah, what size did you get?

Large.


could you post a picture of what the Large dock looks like?
1 RES: Crush, 7" long 5 years old
1 hedgehog: Sonic, 7 months old
User avatar
francinemarie
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Sep 20, 2008
Location: US

Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:17 am   

If you read the entire thread, you'll see that I posted pics of it in my tank as well as a link to the product website which has high-res pics.
User avatar
thegrandpoohbah
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Oct 14, 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:35 am   

Hrm.. i might have to give this a shot.
3 RES : Comet , Einstein, Lotte
2 Leopard Geckos : Jake and Jenny
1 Bichon Frise : Mike

I'm not scared of the dark, I'm scared of whats in it.
User avatar
Lantic
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Sep 15, 2008
Location: California, Orange County

Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:24 am   

I'll post two pics as well.

Image

Image
RES Mei (4")
Eastern Painted - Red (3.7")
User avatar
Mauk
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Markham, ON

Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:51 pm   

Wow, I really like how natural it looks.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:16 pm   

wow that looks absolutely amazing & so natural! how big is your tank? if you don't mind, i would like your opinion :). do you think the large sized dock you have would be able to support the weight of a 7" female RES & growing?

i'm wondering if that dock is large enough for my RES to fully bask with also knowing that she'll eventually grow bigger.
1 RES: Crush, 7" long 5 years old
1 hedgehog: Sonic, 7 months old
User avatar
francinemarie
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Sep 20, 2008
Location: US

Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:19 pm   

Will this thing hold a full size female slider??? I mean if you look at the measurements its only 15" by 9" it might not hold the weight of a full size female, but a male on the other hand this could be a good idea. Keep us posted on this new dock. I like the looks, but I'm still faithfull to the zoo-med dock. My female (4")basks on this thing and it holds her just fine. She has plenty of mobility. I build dry land when she is mature anyway.
1 Female RES 6 in.
4'x2-1/2'x2' Tank
1 Mangrove Monitor 3.5 ft
10'x10'x6' Enclosure
User avatar
akaghettoraver
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Sep 28, 2006
Location: Honduras

Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:33 pm   

akaghettoraver wrote:Will this thing hold a full size female slider??? I mean if you look at the measurements its only 15" by 9" it might not hold the weight of a full size female, but a male on the other hand this could be a good idea. Keep us posted on this new dock. I like the looks, but I'm still faithfull to the zoo-med dock. My female (4")basks on this thing and it holds her just fine. She has plenty of mobility. I build dry land when she is mature anyway.


yea i'm kinda wondering about that too. i love the way the exo-terra dock looks, but i'm wondering if the money spent will be worth it for a growing female RES.

what size zoo-med dock do you use for your female RES? i've been debating on whether or not to buy a large zoo-med for my 7" female RES (and of course she'll grow bigger :roll:).
1 RES: Crush, 7" long 5 years old
1 hedgehog: Sonic, 7 months old
User avatar
francinemarie
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Sep 20, 2008
Location: US

Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:01 pm   

This thing is pretty sturdy, I was pushing down on it and it was pretty resistant and would not sink in much at all. Gotta thank thegrandpoobah for his post and tipping me on this thing.
RES Mei (4")
Eastern Painted - Red (3.7")
User avatar
Mauk
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Markham, ON

Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:38 pm   

You're welcome! Looks like I've started an Exo-Terra exodus.

And as for this dock holding a full grown female RES, I have no idea. Like Mauk said, it is pretty sturdy. It is at least as buoyant as the Zoo Med dock.
User avatar
thegrandpoohbah
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Oct 14, 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:59 am   

thegrandpoohbah wrote:You're welcome! Looks like I've started an Exo-Terra exodus.

And as for this dock holding a full grown female RES, I have no idea. Like Mauk said, it is pretty sturdy. It is at least as buoyant as the Zoo Med dock.


hmmm i see. does petsmart or petco happen to sell these yet?
1 RES: Crush, 7" long 5 years old
1 hedgehog: Sonic, 7 months old
User avatar
francinemarie
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Sep 20, 2008
Location: US

Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:14 am   

francinemarie wrote:
hmmm i see. does petsmart or petco happen to sell these yet?


I was thinking the same thing, but I checked the websites and they did not carry them. From what I understand, this product is fairly new. I check ebay (not thoroughly, and did not see anything)
-Gabe:D

1.0.1 RES - Raphael & Speedy Claxter

Egg Crate: (n.) turtle owner's best friend, (2) also known as light diffuser, (3) found in local hardware stores in the lighting section
User avatar
Raphulk
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Dec 30, 2007
Location: sunny california

PreviousNext

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 130 guests