Habitat - Indoor :: Trying to decide how to move water around better.

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:51 am   

i use 2 koralia 4's in my 120 gallon reef aquarium and it is plenty of flow for a reef. i would go with a 2 or less they don't have a jet stream effect like other power heads because the flow come out of a wider nozzle but they still move a ton of water
terpy red eared slider
terpythemessyturtle
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Jan 25, 2009
Location: maryland

Post Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:47 pm   

I've got a 55gal. I think I'm gonna go with either a nano or a 1. Depends on if I find the right deal on ebay.
I build acrylic ATBAs.
Rubicon
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 7, 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC.
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:35 am   

Well I jumped on a Koralia Nano for a decent price of the bay.
I build acrylic ATBAs.
Rubicon
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 7, 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC.
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:37 am   

Cool. Let us know how it works.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:43 am   

I had the same issue and decided after reading a few posts around here to invest in two AquaBall Powerheads.

Placing one in each corner has almost eliminated the waste on the bottom of the tank.
turn2dust
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Nov 10, 2007

Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:33 am   

i have a aquaclear 70 in my 55g to airate and push the poo. i have it on the same side as the output of my xp3 only higher up. with a little time you can eliminate any dead spots by adjusting the direction of the water. i have sand on the bottom so a couple of well placed rocks keeps it from blowing around and piling up. my turtle enjoys the flow and bubbles and my tank is crystal clear. more bubbles means more evaporation so keep an eye on the levels.
cb
CB
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Jun 5, 2008

Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:29 pm   

Does anyone know of a powerhead that is rated for a tank larger than a 70 gallon. I have a 125 gallon tank and the one I have is cutting it. I can always get another one, but I'd like to get one that's rated for my tank.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:49 pm   

Well I got my Nano yesterday. Probably going to install it within the hour.
I build acrylic ATBAs.
Rubicon
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 7, 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC.
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:33 pm   

Well I wish I'd have gotten the next step above the Nano but this will do the job. The thing is so weak you can barely feel the water a few inches infront of it. However it is moving the water around the tank like I want so I guess it's perfect for my lil guys.

It does make the plants move in different ways which looks really really cool.
I build acrylic ATBAs.
Rubicon
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 7, 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC.
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:51 pm   

Rubicon, Koralias don't produce a strong jet of water like a traditional powerhead. Despite that, they still move a great deal of water. That's why people like them.

Untsmurf, a Koralia 4 should do the trick. It moves 1200GPH.
User avatar
thegrandpoohbah
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Oct 14, 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:38 pm   

Yes, after closer inspection instead of moving a small narrow stream it moves a larger spread out area. It's working great so I'm stoked!! Planning on getting two of the mid range ones for the 75 gal.
I build acrylic ATBAs.
Rubicon
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 7, 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC.
Gender: Male

Previous

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 128 guests