Habitat - Indoor :: My turtles broke thier commercial dock!!! Dock suggestions?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:13 am   My turtles broke thier commercial dock!!! Dock suggestions?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... Large%2011"%20x%2016.5"%20x%206.5"&ref=3665&subref=AA

You see this dock here...I paid dang near $40 for this and they chewed and and broke it...It lasted only 6 months! Anyone have any good ideas for a basking area that will last a long time? I can't stack things because my tank is 135 gallons and heavy enough as it is...maybe I can hang something from over the sides? The biggest turtle dock they sell...Is already getting too small. I want to create something big enough for 2 adult sliders to rest on... Thanks.
1 Big Dog, 3 Cats, 2 RES Turtles and plenty o' fish
User avatar
RiverChubbs
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Oct 29, 2006
Location: Northern California

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:39 am   

I'm using PVC pipe and ceramic tile for my 125 gallon tank. It's simple, very strong and very inexpensive.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:35 pm   

Are you giving them cuttlebone? I know those ramps have calcium in them, maybe put cuttlebone in the tank and see if they leave the ramp alone.......
User avatar
grey goose
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Jul 12, 2006

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:40 pm   

Runningwide open makes above the tank basking areas, and that would fit both, and not be as chewable.
2 RES-Sparky M 6.0 and Spike F 9.0
1 Beardie- F Nubbin
1 Pictus Gecko- F Necko
6 Fire Bellied Toads-3 M 3 F
User avatar
scripta_elegans
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1938
Joined: Jul 30, 2006
Location: Iowa

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:54 pm   

I agree with Steve's idea since you can customize the size. I only have one adult slider & she definitely puts a strain on that Large acrylic dock that you are talking about. It's definitely not big enough for 2 sliders & barely big enough for her! But since she isn't growing any more (stable at 9" length), it's ok for her for now.
Kristin's Pond! Starring:

RES = "Sheba", 21+ yrs. old
African Clawed Frog = "Prog", 10 yrs old
& "Kristin" as Momma
User avatar
industrial_girl_2000
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3232
Joined: May 11, 2006
Location: Farmington Hills, MI

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:24 pm   

grey goose wrote:Are you giving them cuttlebone? I know those ramps have calcium in them, maybe put cuttlebone in the tank and see if they leave the ramp alone.......


Oh Thanks...I have been dusting their food with the calcium dust...However...Maybe If they had something to chew on like that. They would stop...Thanks..
1 Big Dog, 3 Cats, 2 RES Turtles and plenty o' fish
User avatar
RiverChubbs
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Oct 29, 2006
Location: Northern California

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:26 pm   

industrial_girl_2000 wrote:I agree with Steve's idea since you can customize the size. I only have one adult slider & she definitely puts a strain on that Large acrylic dock that you are talking about. It's definitely not big enough for 2 sliders & barely big enough for her! But since she isn't growing any more (stable at 9" length), it's ok for her for now.


Oh ok Thanks. Yeah I need to find some pics of Docks that folks on here have customized...I remember seeing tons in the past but can't find any pics now.
1 Big Dog, 3 Cats, 2 RES Turtles and plenty o' fish
User avatar
RiverChubbs
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Oct 29, 2006
Location: Northern California

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:45 pm   

2 RES: Leo (f) and Ezra (m)
1 Russian Tortoise: Godzilla (m)
User avatar
megcornell
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 3206
Joined: Apr 30, 2006
Location: New York, NY

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:53 am   

Here are two suggestions of what we did for our tanks when the turts were younger. One tank had bricks stacked up with a 12" paver on top which stood tall enough for a great basking area and served as a cool cave for Lou to go in. Once we changed that out we created two areas for two tanks with the Jaffa shelf things. Plastic white rolling cart things from walmart, cut them up and placed them in the tanks, and the turts climbed up on to bask.
Image
As a matter of fact I just adopted 2 more babies and started up the tank again for them, tried something different this time and hung the basket, here is the pic of that setup:
Image
It really seems to work well as they have something to grip on and its easy to clean. Plus it allowed for more water in the tank.
Anytime you see a turtle up on top of a fence post, you know he had some help.
- Alex Haley
The Pet Zoo: 2 RES(Lou + Baby Lou:no relation) 4 Dogs 3 Cats 1 Koi 11.5 (Shirley) 6 goldfish friends **2 new additions! greenie RES and greenie YBS!
User avatar
MamaLou
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Jun 28, 2005
Location: Maiden NC

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:55 pm   

MamaLou- you said you have this basking set up for babies, I was wondering if they ever fall through the holes in the crate/basket? I was going to make an above tank basking area with one, but was worried they would not be able to walk on it or would possibly get their little legs stuck...
>>kate<<
1.0.0 Red Eared Slider: Ethel
0.1.0 Gulf Coast Box Turtle: Bertha
0.0.1 False Tomato Frog:: Paco
1.0.1 Albino ACFs: Guillermo and Carlos
1.0.0 Pit Bull Terrier: Rocco
1.0.0 Black Lab/Mastiff: Bert
1.0.0 Orange Kitten: Baxter
User avatar
kmichael55
 
Posts: 745
Joined: May 15, 2007
Location: Ohio City, OH

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:02 pm   

Hi, Not so far they havent fallen through, although they try to squeeze in and out of the holes in the sides, they are still small enough to get through. I have a piece of indoor/outdoor marine carpet attatched to it on the floor so they can walk on it and ontop of that there is a piece of an old turtle dock. it was one of those corner ones made of the hard brownish plastic, (garbage really) it broke the first day I had it and a few times more after that so what is left of it is used like a base for them to lay on. so the holes are about a little over an inch square. I used them for my big turtle with a flat thing ontop and she never had a problem at all with getting legs stuck or anything like that. :)
Anytime you see a turtle up on top of a fence post, you know he had some help.
- Alex Haley
The Pet Zoo: 2 RES(Lou + Baby Lou:no relation) 4 Dogs 3 Cats 1 Koi 11.5 (Shirley) 6 goldfish friends **2 new additions! greenie RES and greenie YBS!
User avatar
MamaLou
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Jun 28, 2005
Location: Maiden NC


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 74 guests