Habitat - Indoor :: What type of R/O system do you have?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:45 pm   What type of R/O system do you have?

I have very hard water and have never used it in my turtle tank or fish tanks. We resently got a water softner installed and had hoped I would be able to use the tap water. The water tested higher than recomended for salt for fish (so I was told). I got worried and when I did a large water change I only put a quarter tap to 3/4 bottled water. I was thinking I would see about puting in a R/O filter and using that water for the tanks. How do you have enough water ready to do a large water change? The filters only produce like 18 gal a day.....or am I missing something?
Mom to Stubby and Webber, 1 1/2 yr old yellow belly sliders
User avatar
Mistic811
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Aug 1, 2012
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:45 am   Re: What type of R/O system do you have?

What about more frequent but smaller maintenance changes.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:34 am   Re: What type of R/O system do you have?

steve wrote:What about more frequent but smaller maintenance changes.



With the r/o water? I could do that, I have a 75 gal. Turtle/fish tank that has about 60 gal. In it. I normally change out 40 gal. Every 2 weeks. I am having a hard time getting my nitrates under control so changing more often would probably help that. I guess I've always been thinking of large water changes being better.


What r/o unit would you recommend? It would be installed only on the turtle/fish tank line. My husband piped a separate line coming thru the floor right beside the tank so it would be easier for me to get water to the tank.
Mom to Stubby and Webber, 1 1/2 yr old yellow belly sliders
User avatar
Mistic811
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Aug 1, 2012
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:41 pm   Re: What type of R/O system do you have?

You'd have to wait for VeipaCray to chime in about those systems. though I think a mixture would be good.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:29 pm   Re: What type of R/O system do you have?

What are your nitrate levels from the tap? Turtle are a lot less sensitive to water conditions than fish. R/O units are pricey, they start around $200-$300. Most people that need R/O store it in a big barrel or bin until its time for a water change.

If your nitrates level aren't too terrible, you may want to consider using house plants like pathos ivy or sweet potato vine to suck it up. Just have to find a way to keep the turtle from eating the plants.
User avatar
devilduck
 
Posts: 957
Joined: May 11, 2012
Location: Chicago, IL.
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:46 pm   Re: What type of R/O system do you have?

I think I will do a storage tank of some sort. I just dont know what would be a good system. I've seen some 90gpd systems that seem like that would be good with a 30 gal storage tank...I can drain off in to other storage jugs. It seems like a pain but much easier than hauling bottle water all the time and I will probably mix some of the softened tap water into it. I'm interested in VeipaCray's opinion too.
I have to think of not just the turtles in this too because my fish are in the turtle tank as well and I have 2 other fish tanks I'm hauling water for too.
Mom to Stubby and Webber, 1 1/2 yr old yellow belly sliders
User avatar
Mistic811
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Aug 1, 2012
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:54 am   Re: What type of R/O system do you have?

You don't want to use straight RO water in a freshwater tank. It's too soft to hold a stable PH and it can even cause pitting in your turtle's shell. You definitely want to mix it with tap water or even better buffer it with something like Kent's RO Right or Brightwell's Remineraliz before adding it to your turtle tank.

All RO units operate the same. No one brand is better than another except for perhaps customer support or price. All RO units will produce near 0 TDS water. (for 0 TDS pristine water, you need a RO/DI system)

RO systems marketed towards the aquarium hobby like Spectrapure are $$$$. A step down in price are units from the hardware store that carry appliance name brands like whirlpool. The hardware store units aren't very customizable. You can't easily add on a stage or change things should you want to. I actually prefer the generic RO systems. I got mine at purewaterclub.com The most basic units start at $60 on their site. I got a 5 stage RO/Di for like $110 shipped. All of the replacement membranes, pre filters and parts are available there for cheap. The nice thing about a generic system is that you can get parts / replacement stuff for it most anywhere. Each of the stages are connected with tubing and quick connect style fittings available at any hardware store. If you want to put a T in the line after the pre-filters with a shut off valve... you could. If you want to add in a DI stage later, you could. If you wanted to add in an inline TDS gauge to let you know when the membrane was needing to be replaced, you could. You could change out parts like the flow restrictor, the check valve, and the auto shutoff valve easily as these sometimes fail. It's also easy to swap out a membrane and flow restrictor to convert a 60GPD unit into a higher GPD unit if you wanted to.

The higher the GPD rating of the membrane, the less efficient the unit is. The higher the GPD of clean water a membrane is capable of, the higher the ratio of waste water. A 60GPD unit will use less total water to make say 600 gallons of RO than my 150GPD unit will. My 150 GPD system will do it faster but produce more waste water in the process. Remember also the flow restrictor needs to match the RO membrane rating.

For storage you probably don't want a pressurized container with a bladder. Those are best for storing 3-5 gallons of drinking water. For storage, you'd be best off with a plastic container like a small-ish round garbage can. You can use a float valve to stop the water when the bin is full. The float valve will block the clean water output line and trip the auto shut off valve on the RO system. You can then use a small utility pump like a $15 maxijet to pump the RO water into your turtle tank should you want. The garbage can would give you easy access to the stored water so you can mix in the buffer. The same $15 utility pump can be used to stir the buffer into the water.
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 47 guests