Habitat - Indoor :: filter not cleaning

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:30 pm   filter not cleaning

Hi need some advice fir some of the guru here.. I having 2x8month old res in my 20g tank.water level fill up to about 3/4 full.
I am using this canister filter ex-500 flow rate is 500lph from easy aqua.www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=5236

Problem I face is that its not really cleaning the tank. I realise that the dirt at the bottom of the tank is not actually been in suck up by the input hose..I could see that the dirt is just at the tip of the hose and it not been suck up.

Thinking of changing one. Can any one advice on one that is good base on my tank size



Tks
boo_saa
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Feb 15, 2013
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:48 am   Re: filter not cleaning

I'm NOT* the filter guru but don't expect any filter to pick up all the waste in your tank, especially the heavier kind. Do you have the filter intake and nozzle set in optimal positions?

*EDIT - forgot a word.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:59 am   Re: filter not cleaning

Thanks for your reply.. mind elaborate on the position. I place the intake tube/ pipe in the center / against the back glass.and the out put/spray is about 5finger lengh away from it pumping water out on the glass.
boo_saa
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Feb 15, 2013
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:54 am   Re: filter not cleaning

should they be close together? I have the intake on one side and the out flow at the opposite end.
User avatar
Into_the_Mystic
 
Posts: 423
Joined: Mar 19, 2012
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:36 pm   Re: filter not cleaning

Yes, keep them at opposite ends. Try to have the nozzle agitate the water surface too.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:16 pm   Re: filter not cleaning

Most of the time if the waste is heavy enough to sink to the bottom a filter will not pick it up.
User avatar
devilduck
 
Posts: 957
Joined: May 11, 2012
Location: Chicago, IL.
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 189 guests