Habitat - Indoor :: Floating Docks...good or bad?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:00 pm   Floating Docks...good or bad?

I have 2 baby RES's in a 20 gallon tank. I've been using medium sized gravel to provide their "beach" and lift their basking platform (decorative log) above the water level. Now that they're getting bigger I'm concerned about the gravel threat and want to remove it, but the water has to be at a certain level for the filter to work and the platform isn't tall enough to break the surface. The floating dock seems to be my best option, however I've read some posts in the forums from people who had problems with this product. I'd appreciate any tips about what to consider when purchasing a floating dock - or whether I should at all. Thank you!
Lacy
User avatar
LacyDL
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Dec 18, 2012
Location: Texas
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:18 pm   Re: Floating Docks...good or bad?

I vote no for floating docks. They aren't useful for very long. Those babies you have will be too big and heavy for any floating dock. Have you considered getting a larger set up? Above tank basking areas are the best way to go for more swimming space, but it's really up to you. If you must go with floating, then the large turtle pier by Penn Plax is one I really liked back when I used them. It is made of hard plastic (so your turtles can't take chunks out of it). I had the original one and it worked very well for a 3" musk turtle. The larger one should be good for your two little RES for a bit. To save money you should go with something that will be useful longer though.
RES: Turtley - about 9" (She makes it a mission to measure her. :/)
Musk: Bolt - 4.5"
Mutt: Gaviota - small
User avatar
jwinters
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Feb 18, 2010
Location: Southern California
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:05 pm   Re: Floating Docks...good or bad?

I also vote no for floating docks. I'd get a cork bark curl to use... they're perfect for most large and small setups.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:45 am   Re: Floating Docks...good or bad?

Well at the moment Im using a floating dock but my turtles are small and dont eat the dock. Ive had no problems yet but Im thinking of going with cork bark because it looks prettier than the floating dock.
nariangel
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Aug 26, 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:44 am   Re: Floating Docks...good or bad?

Thank you, everyone, for your input! My boyfriend bought me a cork bark piece that has turned out to work very well. Plus my babies seem to be very comfortable climbing/basking on it. My next item on the list is to buy some aquatic plants for them (floating docks are now crossed off the list - at least for now). I've found a PetSmart near by that sells Anacharis and Hornwort. So glad I found this sight and have friendly people to help me be a good mama to Luke and J.J.
Lacy
User avatar
LacyDL
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Dec 18, 2012
Location: Texas
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:37 am   Re: Floating Docks...good or bad?

Glad to hear you're trying the bark. It might change the color of the water a bit while it leaches tannins, but thats normal and not considered harmful... though you might want to presoak it or do a water change sooner than later.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:53 pm   Re: Floating Docks...good or bad?

I would also say no to floating docks. They are more trouble than they are worth. I have two full grown RES and I'm looking forward to the day that I don't have to use these crappy floating platforms anymore.
User avatar
PatriciaTheora
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Nov 7, 2012
Location: Kentucky
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:58 pm   Re: Floating Docks...good or bad?

Floating docks work fine when the turtle is small but once they get bigger they easily sink the dock or chew it up. I'd take a trip to the hardware store and make something much more solid for a fraction of the price.
User avatar
devilduck
 
Posts: 957
Joined: May 11, 2012
Location: Chicago, IL.
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:23 pm   Re: Floating Docks...good or bad?

That's how my docks are, completely unstable for full grown turtles. Don't always trust what the box says, just because it says it's specifically made for large turtles doesn't mean it's true. I've seen wonderful makeshift platforms. The easiest to build would probably be using pvc pipe as the structure, mesh for the actual basking platform and zip ties to hold it all together. Extremely simple, extremely effective.
User avatar
PatriciaTheora
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Nov 7, 2012
Location: Kentucky
Gender: Female


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 77 guests