Habitat - Indoor :: Build Log: 220 Gallons

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:08 am   Re: Build Log: 220 Gallons

I have been going by back of the hand test. Comparing it to what I feel on a bright day here in Kansas. The same feeling as it was in her last tank, and there is plenty of room for her to find a hotter or cooler spot depending on where on the dock she is at. This is far from the best way to measure but it is not outside of a range that I could see it being the cause for her not basking. Especially considering how much she would bask in hr previous tank.

-B&C
BlackAndChrome
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Aug 9, 2012
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:07 pm   Re: Build Log: 220 Gallons

Well I have seen her basking TWICE today so it looks like something finally clicked or she realized it is warm up on the dock. She's still exceptionally timid and flies off at the sight of anyone but I'm sure she will get used to it shortly, she wasn't terribly timid about basking before the new tank.

-B&C
BlackAndChrome
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Aug 9, 2012
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:30 pm   Re: Build Log: 220 Gallons

I was going to suggest to make it warmer and closer to the edge then move it back once she's familiar with it. Glad she's liking it now.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:08 am   Re: Build Log: 220 Gallons

I dont know if you will get this, and i may be wrong, but i think i noticed that you used GE Silicone II in your tank. If so, it has a anti-mildew/anti-mold agent, that is harmful to fish, and probably killed your bacteria colony, and i think it will continue to do so. You need to stick to GE silicone I (or other 100% silicone with NO anti-mold/mildew characteristics). I dont know what measures you may have to take to rid your tank of the silicone to make it habitable for fish...it may wear off on its own, but i wouldnt bank on it.
tennesseebob
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Nov 20, 2012
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:58 am   Re: Build Log: 220 Gallons

Wow... So cool!
User avatar
cheezu
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Nov 14, 2012
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:00 pm   Re: Build Log: 220 Gallons

Hi tennesseebob, welcome to the forum! I think he mentioned that it was redone in an earlier post.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:25 am   Re: Build Log: 220 Gallons

Nice build. I like the size a lot. I thought my 135g was pretty big haha

Is that a load-bearing wall behind the tank? How many joists does the tank span?
-Chris
User avatar
papoopeepoo
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:51 pm   Re: Build Log: 220 Gallons

I wouldn't worry about your basking spot too much. I think it honestly depends on your turtles curiosity and not so much a temperature concern. I created an ATBA and at first it was irritating to me that she was not utilizing my hard work! She started by resting by the ramp, and slowly but surely made attempts to climb it, but was extremely skittish when I tried to observe. Eventually I found her up top exploring so I think its a matter of privacy and their ability to develop some security with the new setup. What i find to be pretty amazing is that when i pound down the stairs she somehow recognizes my foot pattern and will stay up top once she sees me, but anyone else in my family and she immediately darts into the water making all kinds of commotion haha. Even when im watching TV, without fail she will get out and chills up top even when her basking light is out just to watch some family guy with me haha. :wink:
Mr.Shenanigans
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Oct 15, 2012
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:33 pm   Re: Build Log: 220 Gallons

Actually the temp is the most important aspect to entice basking! Turtles bask to thermoregulate, studies are being conducted to see if turtles can sense the UVB rays that are produced. In fact some think that turtles could regulate the UVB they use to produce vitamin D3. We do know that turtles can see in the UVA spectrum of light. So actually light and UV rays coupled with heat is what attracts a slider and any other basking turtle to haul out the water and take a alert superman pose to absorb all the heat and UV rays (UVB) from the sun.
http://www.photobucket.com/Toku
Toku's build thread, click link below;
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34068
2 Male Rio Grande RES
1 Spiny Softshell

"Live Life"
User avatar
slider_keeper
 
Posts: 1342
Joined: Mar 7, 2010
Location: Arizona
Gender: Male

Previous

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 124 guests

cron