Habitat - Indoor :: driftwood questions

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:38 pm   driftwood questions

I found an awesome peice of driftwood that would look perfect in the bottom of my tank and give the fishies a place to hide. So I took it home and rinsed it off to try it out only to find that it floats! I felt pretty dumb, I should have known it was going to float it is very light wood. It actually looked really cool in the tank even thought it floats, I would leave it in if it didnt take up so much room. The way its shaped kinda made like a shelf that wraps around the back corner of the tank, part of it floating above water and most of the shelf about 6 inches underwater. Kaya really seemed to like it too, even though she has been acting crazy and gravid lately she immediately calmed down to check out the new furniture. She was scratching her shell on it, climbing on it and diving off into the water.

Anyway, Im wondering if I cut it down so it doesnt take up so much room if it would be a good addition to the tank, she seems to enjoy having a little resting spot where she can still be submerged. I only rinsed it breifly in the shower, do i need to soak it for a few days before putting it in the tank? Will it rot or contaminate the water?

Also if i want some wood in the bottom of the tank do i need a different kind of wood, maybe something more dense like oak?
Tokapeli
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Jul 13, 2011

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:31 pm   Re: driftwood questions

Why don't you make a base for it? How would you use the oak (I'm not picturing it)?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:10 pm   Re: driftwood questions

I dont think it would even need a base its very boyant, I was thinking about securing some suction cups to it so it will stay in the corner close to the glass and out of the way.

And im not sure about the oak I was just wondering what type of wood is normally used since I see pictures of sunken driftwood in tanks all the time and mine is floating. Will it eventually sink or do i just need a different type of more dense wood?
Tokapeli
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Jul 13, 2011

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:52 am   Re: driftwood questions

I haven't used oak or any type of wood besides cork bark. Diamondbacks4Life has used oak before: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31617
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:21 pm   Re: driftwood questions

First lets start out with preperation with driftwood. You need to soak it for a few days before putting it into the tank just incase it contains tannins still which will change the color of the water to a yellow to tea color but seeing as you had in your tank already for awhile you probably would of noticed it already. For the next wood i talk about soak it.

Now onto the next part. Yes, there are different types of driftwood. You unfortunately got the north american kind that floats. It will sink eventually but the problem it can take months to years depending on its size. That kind usually you have to attach it to a slat like steve said.
Image

Now the kind you want that sink right away is an african type of driftwood. It is much heavier and will be very dark in color. You can see the difference in colors on my photos. Remember to soak that before putting it into the tank.
Image
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
User avatar
Diamondbacks4Life
Moderator
 
Posts: 2349
Joined: Apr 4, 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:49 pm   Re: driftwood questions

cool thanks for the tips Diamondbacks. Is the base in the first pic just for stability or does it help the driftwood sink? I would imagine i woud need a pretty heavy base to sink my peice its pretty large. maybe i could make the base big enough to place large rocks on it to hold it down and cover it with sand or something.
Tokapeli
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Jul 13, 2011

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:46 am   Re: driftwood questions

Base is for Sink/stability. There used to be another peice connected to the base but over time the one slowing deteriorated. When i first got it i used to have to put a rock in the middle of the base like you suggested to hold it down better.
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
User avatar
Diamondbacks4Life
Moderator
 
Posts: 2349
Joined: Apr 4, 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:16 pm   Re: driftwood questions

thanks again for the tips, ill try to post some pics when i get it setup
Tokapeli
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Jul 13, 2011


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 122 guests