Habitat - Indoor :: New tank. -- Questions.

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:00 am   New tank. -- Questions.

So, today I measured Sunny and realized she was 3.6" - a reminder for me to upgrade the tank. I Whatsapped my friend, who had a fish tank her mom was going to discard/sell/recycle (get rid of it in general), to ask if she was selling it. She said she would talk to her mother, who was aching to get rid of that tank (Did I mention this already?)
From her description and my estimation (I've been to her place a few times already), it is about 50G. Perfect!
It has a stand, however I have a built-in counter thing in my 'turtle corner' which can most likely hold it and have a stronger support on the thing.
A few questions :
-- How can I allow for the transition to a new tank be less traumatizing and even exciting for my turtle?
-- Are there any precautions?

I have heard of my sister's boss' fish tank breaking apart for some reason (If I remembered correctly, the ground was shaking.) What is the possibility of this happening? My turtle currently lives in a plastic storage container, which I am rather sure won't 'shatter to pieces'.
Thank you! :3
( Oh and, do you think about $100 SGD is enough for the 50G? I could ask my parents to help a bit if I'm lacking, say, twenty bucks, but I do not want my parents to feel like my turtle is a burden to them, therefore I will pay for (most) it myself. )
There are 3 kinds of people: Those who can count and those who can't.
[RiP] Tilly - Female 5yr old RES. [2005-2010]
2 x (Probably female) RES hatchlings - Sunny & Lily [18/09/11 - Present]
Matryoshka
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Sep 18, 2011
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:40 am   Re: New tank. -- Questions.

I believe familiar items would actually help, if you don't have any maybe a couple of water hyacinths might do the trick,
you might wanna check your nearby wet market for the aquatic plants which is also edible cost me around SGD$1 each.

Perhaps you want to use your current filter if you have as well as the current bacteria that has been cultivated still remains in there which help to speed up the nitrogen cycle and reduce ammonia.
When you mentioned SGD I assume you're living in singapore climate here is pretty much just right only that your tank usually is indoors so you may want to consider getting 2 lamp with UVB bulb and a regular warm lightbulb.
You might want to check a nearby DIY shop to check if they can help custom make a wiremesh top for your turtles to prevent escape and easily put light above the basking spot.
Could get a thermometer for the basking area to monitor the temperature.

Hopefully your turtle will get acustomed to the new tank relatively easy, mine is everything all new so its taking awhile for them and ammonia to settle down.
eviance85
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Jan 20, 2012
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:53 am   Re: New tank. -- Questions.

:D Another fellow SGean! Hello there :3
I once bought a few of those $1 plants at the LFS, however the sponge thing they were planted in gave off a stench when I bought them and threw them away shortly after :x
I have recently bought a basking lamp, ReptiGlo 5.0 for my turtle.
Also, a wire mesh fitting? I have never done that - my turtle can't climb well against a slippery surface like plastic or glass. I will try though :D
( Wait... Meaning that I can fill it to the brim and add an ATBA? :D )
There are 3 kinds of people: Those who can count and those who can't.
[RiP] Tilly - Female 5yr old RES. [2005-2010]
2 x (Probably female) RES hatchlings - Sunny & Lily [18/09/11 - Present]
Matryoshka
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Sep 18, 2011
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:12 am   Re: New tank. -- Questions.

Ahhh check out water hyacinths(Floating aquatic plant), it should be sold in a sealed plastic bag without sponges or usually in a tank.
My turts love them so far chewing them, using it as a floatation to sleep at night and hiding from me.

Pet safari sell the turtle dock which is quite expensive, I've gotten mine from an aquarium which is a simple acrylic ramp with a sandpaper like strip which assist them to climb up.
Can refer to my previous post for pictures: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31536

I'm using reptiglo 5.0 too for UVB which turts love both my warm light for basking and the UVB lamp which they still bask in it(2 birds with 1 stone).
Wire mesh fitting I've some friends who've got it done for their fish tanks(Suicidal arrowanas), check around those markets in your neighbourhood or you can actually go to some reputable shops.
I'll drop you a PM for the list or where to find them.
eviance85
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Jan 20, 2012
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:38 am   Re: New tank. -- Questions.

Suicidal arowanas eh?
Thanks for the informative PM by the way! :D
There are 3 kinds of people: Those who can count and those who can't.
[RiP] Tilly - Female 5yr old RES. [2005-2010]
2 x (Probably female) RES hatchlings - Sunny & Lily [18/09/11 - Present]
Matryoshka
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Sep 18, 2011
Gender: Female


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 153 guests