Habitat - Indoor :: What is the best filter to use?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:50 pm   What is the best filter to use?

I'm planning on buying my RES a 300 gallon stock tank, so I also need to get a new filter. I'm considering the fluval FX5 but I've heard that it has some issues. Should I just go with that one or can you recommend me any other filter that would be good?
kimmy89
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Oct 5, 2011

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:18 pm   Re: What is the best filter to use?

I would go with the FX5... what kind of issues have you heard? If it's a fully stocked tank or you have multiple RES, you might want to consider a pond filter.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:21 pm   Re: What is the best filter to use?

The fluval FX5 is probably the best off-the-shelf canister filter you can get for a turtle. There are many of us on this forum that have one. However, 300Gallons of water is a stretch for a single FX5 and a larger turtle. 150-200 gallons would be the upper bound of what a single FX5 could process. To go bigger, you're looking at pond filters or a pair of FX5's.

This may help...

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30145
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 127 guests