Habitat - Indoor :: Turtle not digesting lettuce? Brown flakes...

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:41 am   Turtle not digesting lettuce? Brown flakes...

So my little 2" baby RES has been chowin down on a large leaf of romaine in the past couple days. Today i woke up to a LOT of floating, brown, small bite sized lettuce pieces. I havent noticed any turtle turds lately so I'm guessing this is all he has had to poop out. It's almost as if he's unable to digest the lettuces at this age? Should I refrain from greens until he's older?
Red Eared Slider - Chang - 4" Female!
Follow Chang on Facebook! ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chang-Chin-Sung/226925757373345
Turtle Food Poll ----> http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31000
User avatar
ChangTang
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Aug 20, 2011
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:01 am   Re: Turtle not digesting lettuce? Brown flakes...

It's brown? Was it thrown up?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:33 am   Re: Turtle not digesting lettuce? Brown flakes...

I have no real way to know if it was thrown up or pooped out. I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum. The romaine was freshly bought and rinsed under warm water to wash off any bad stuff thats sprayed on it. I haven't noticed it until just now.
Red Eared Slider - Chang - 4" Female!
Follow Chang on Facebook! ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chang-Chin-Sung/226925757373345
Turtle Food Poll ----> http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31000
User avatar
ChangTang
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Aug 20, 2011
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:49 am   Re: Turtle not digesting lettuce? Brown flakes...

It could be either if it's very loose.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:24 pm   Re: Turtle not digesting lettuce? Brown flakes...

Yeah, I was thinking as such. I may keep it out of the tank until he gets a little bigger.
Red Eared Slider - Chang - 4" Female!
Follow Chang on Facebook! ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chang-Chin-Sung/226925757373345
Turtle Food Poll ----> http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31000
User avatar
ChangTang
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Aug 20, 2011
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:17 pm   Re: Turtle not digesting lettuce? Brown flakes...

My turtle will poop out brown pieces of lettuce. It comes out like a poop then he goes and eats it which stirs it up. Then the goldfish eats it with him. I think the lettuce doesn't get fully digested. Maybe it needs the second round to digest. After it's stirred up it does look like he had diarrhea. The filter takes care of it in about 15 minutes. If I hadn't seen what happened I would have thought he had diarrhea as well. Did you see it come out like diarrhea. And don't worry it's normal for turtles to eat their own stools.
Stupid is as stupid does. - Forest Gump
The only dumb question is one not asked.
Love of Animals
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Jan 5, 2011
Location: Yorktown, NY
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:42 am   Re: Turtle not digesting lettuce? Brown flakes...

Well no I hadn't seen him poop it out. My filter doesnt have a top skimmer so I have to go in with the fish net and try to skim out as much as possible.
Red Eared Slider - Chang - 4" Female!
Follow Chang on Facebook! ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chang-Chin-Sung/226925757373345
Turtle Food Poll ----> http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31000
User avatar
ChangTang
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Aug 20, 2011
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 101 guests