Habitat - Indoor :: Water issues please help

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:28 pm   Water issues please help

Hello everyone I'm very new here but not to turtles, I've had mine for 6 years now and love every second of it. Recently the 3 of us moved acrossed the country from Michigan to Colorado, ever since the move I can't seem to keep the water clean in the tank. I will do a full water change and it will remain clear for one day, by day two I've got white cloudy water, by day three I have a swamp with the smell and all. It is a 55 gal tank with 2 brand new filters in it(I don't remember which ones they are I'll have to look) right now they are close to a window which they never have been before so I'm not sure if this is the cause or not. I've never had this problem in 6 years of being a turtle momma and as much as I love them I'm really tired off full water changes every 3 days...any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Heavenlyjame
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Oct 23, 2011
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:37 am   Re: Water issues please help

What kind of filter are you using? And do they contain carbon?
Red Eared Slider - Chang - 4" Female!
Follow Chang on Facebook! ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chang-Chin-Sung/226925757373345
Turtle Food Poll ----> http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31000
User avatar
ChangTang
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Aug 20, 2011
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:14 am   Re: Water issues please help

The white cloudy bloom is probably your tank cycling. Do not do water changes during this time, you'll prolong the cycling time. Wait out the bloom. For cycling your ammonia levels will spike then go down, then your nitrite levels will spike then go down, then your nitrate levels will spike. Then it's time for a partial water change. Full water changes should be avoided. As Chang Tang mentioned carbon is very helpful in removing odors so is purigen. Let us know what filters they are and what size tank they are rated for. Canisters are the best for turtles.
Stupid is as stupid does. - Forest Gump
The only dumb question is one not asked.
Love of Animals
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Jan 5, 2011
Location: Yorktown, NY
Gender: Female


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 132 guests