Habitat - Indoor :: How High to Make the ATBA Walls?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:02 pm   How High to Make the ATBA Walls?

So I'm starting to get some ideas for my semi-above tank basking area. This is the look i'm going for...
Image - credit to octopusgirl8

So I'm going to use a cork bark slab, and put it as far high as I can in the aquarium like it's pictured so I can utilize all my water space. Instead of having all 4 sides be acrylic / plexiglass (EXPENSIVE!), I'm going to do the back, and sides in plywood and the front in acrylic so we can see him/her basking. My question is, how high do all the sides need to be? I'm not planning on having a top, if i do, it'll be eggcrate, but that'll be a decision for the future. I was thinking 12"? Or would I need to go even higher at 18"?

Also, to bind the plywood and acrylic together, would I use aquarium silicone? or would it be safe to use a different kind of glue? My 55 gallon tank has a divider on the top in the middle (like i think all 55's do) and I'm using the one half like they ^ did and putting a hood and florescent strip on it.

Thanks for anyone who helps!
Red Eared Slider - Chang - 4" Female!
Follow Chang on Facebook! ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chang-Chin-Sung/226925757373345
Turtle Food Poll ----> http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31000
User avatar
ChangTang
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Aug 20, 2011
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:09 pm   Re: How High to Make the ATBA Walls?

Well, my old ATBA had 12" walls, and it was fine since Tomi was 5.5" or so. However, I saw how much he stretches and it started making me nervous. I figured once he grew a little, he'd figure out a way to get out. Also, the ATBA kind of looked weird with such high walls. Long story short, I redesigned the ATBA with shorter walls and an eggcrate top. Looks nice and makes me feel better.

About the plywood, I used angles to hold the sides together. They're screwed in with nuts and bolts - so they're not going anywhere :) I don't trust glue! =) (you can drill into acrylic also, you just need a good bit - this is how I made my ramp).
1 RES - Tomi (75 gal)
1 Leopard Gecko - Leia (20 gal)
2 Fancy goldfish, 1 bn pleco (40 gal breeder)
https://www.facebook.com/varboleda6
User avatar
vear
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Sep 2, 2009
Location: New York
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:22 pm   Re: How High to Make the ATBA Walls?

Well the piece of plywood I found laying around is 1/8". And to minimize costs I'm going to try and get a thin piece of acrylic. I may just use like gorilla glue and use braces as shown, but I don't know what anyone else thinks.
Red Eared Slider - Chang - 4" Female!
Follow Chang on Facebook! ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chang-Chin-Sung/226925757373345
Turtle Food Poll ----> http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31000
User avatar
ChangTang
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Aug 20, 2011
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:49 pm   Re: How High to Make the ATBA Walls?

If your turtle will be in that type of setup, 12" would be fine.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 167 guests