Habitat - Indoor :: Tesla the Turble! '^' ~Build Thread~

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:50 pm   Re: Tesla the Turble! '^' ~Build Thread~

Alright, so after hacking up my hands all weekend (I sliced a finger open trimming the FX5 hoses), I finally have everything set up!

Image
Kinda cloudy. Got the FX5 set-up for "Optional" off Veipa's media thread. Should clear up in a day or two I hope.

Image
The ATBA I made. :3

So I noticed he hasn't tried getting on the ATBA yet. I stuck him up there and he dived back off into the water after wandering around. He keeps climbing on his old basking dock I put in there so he would have something to grab on to. Do you think I should take it out so he tries to new basking area? He swims fine and he's familiar with the new surroundings already. If he refuses to use it, I guess I could remove the bottom of it and just have the old dock be surrounded by the walls. Maybe he doesn't want to climb the ramp?

Suggestions?

EDIT: I am going to make another video once the sand cloudiness clears up.
Electrical Engineer, animal lover, video game nerd.
1 RES - Mr. Tesla
User avatar
ElectricTurtle
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Jul 24, 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:36 am   Re: Tesla the Turble! '^' ~Build Thread~

i'd just take the old basking area out
BRuTAL_HiTMAN_
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Jul 13, 2011
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:21 pm   Re: Tesla the Turble! '^' ~Build Thread~

Take the old one out... and the ramp looks a little steep... maybe he is having troubles getting up? Give him some time... he's probably really nervous going up into a new place! I would also put a solid backing on the back/sides (but keep open on the front if you want to see him) so it feels more safe. A couple fake plants might make it look better too. :)
Karawr
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Jun 17, 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:30 pm   Re: Tesla the Turble! '^' ~Build Thread~

Yeah, I was actually thinking it looked a little steep too. I took the old one out and he seems to be slightly curious.

We had a little issue today. The tank was clearing up so I was going to change the media for the regular set-up. Apparently I didn't tie the purigen well enough and when I turned on the filter it shot a lot of it out into the tank. I spent two hours spot cleaning mostly all of it out and I had Tesla in a rubbermaid container. I tied the purigen really well in another bag. I'm pretty sure I got all of it out, but will it be toxic to him if he finds some and accidentally (or on purpose) eats it? I feel so bad. :(

Was going to make another video today too, but I was dead dog tired when I got done with all of that mess. The filter is going strong now and the problem is fixed though. I can't help being a little worried.
Electrical Engineer, animal lover, video game nerd.
1 RES - Mr. Tesla
User avatar
ElectricTurtle
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Jul 24, 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:15 pm   Re: Tesla the Turble! '^' ~Build Thread~

Hey guys! Made a final video of Tesla's set-up! Here it is! :D
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O30jaPQzrYQ[/youtube]
Electrical Engineer, animal lover, video game nerd.
1 RES - Mr. Tesla
User avatar
ElectricTurtle
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Jul 24, 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:39 pm   Re: Tesla the Turble! '^' ~Build Thread~

Everything looks great. Love the sandy bottom.
3 RES- Sajko, Lajzi, and Nacho
2 Kitty Cats- Lolcat and Bear
User avatar
Kurtni
 
Posts: 234
Joined: May 17, 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:44 am   Re: Tesla the Turble! '^' ~Build Thread~

Thanks! It was a lot of hard work, but it's well worth it. He loves digging and the FX5 keeps the tank water crystal clear.

This morning I caught him using the basking area! I guess changing the ramp did the trick. ;)
Image
"I'm just relaxing '^' "
Electrical Engineer, animal lover, video game nerd.
1 RES - Mr. Tesla
User avatar
ElectricTurtle
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Jul 24, 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:44 pm   Re: Tesla the Turble! '^' ~Build Thread~

VeipaCray wrote:WOOT! I got mentioned in your video *hug*

Here's your shopping list....



That media bag I'm sure isn't sub 200 micron - the purigen will go right through it. The cheapest fine mesh bag I've found that could hold purigen was maybe 7 bucks.
seanb1979
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sep 23, 2010

Previous

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 118 guests