Habitat - Indoor :: Please read this (tank size issues)

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:27 am   Please read this (tank size issues)

Well, here it goes. Half a year ago I purchased a beautiful little red eared slider named fluffy ( I know weird name for a turtle :P), and he was setup in a ''supposed'' 246 litre (65 gallon) tank. I was fine with this tank size at the time as I was going to build a turtle pond outside my new house. I got a aqua one 500 canister filter (which the petshop owner said was a good filter, ugh).

I bought the tank off a Chinese man on a New Zealand trading website. The man told me it was a 246 litre tank, even though it was 4 foot long. Just did an inches to gallons conversion on a fish aquarium site and it came out at around 97.6 gallons? The dimensions (in inches) is 47x24x20. At the time when we thought the tank was 65 gallons, my mum wanted to get a turtle, so long story short, we got another turtle lol.

My questions are:

1. Can two Adult red ear sliders, male or female, fit comfortable in a almost 100 gallon tank?
2. Due to the filter not being up to par, I'm going to have to reduce the water level, which means the turtles will be further from the uva/b light. Can the turtles still get enough uvb if the light is around 20-30 cm away?
3. How long until i'm going to have to upgrade the filter, allowing more swimming space?

Thanks,
Zacbuttcrack

P.s. Chinese man's fault :(
Zacbuttcrack
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Jul 11, 2011
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:10 am   Re: Please read this (tank size issues)

1> The best practice that we follow is 10 gallons of water per inch of shell. Two adult turtles would be cramped in a 100 gallon tank. You could build an ATBA to maximize swim space. As for them living together... they can become aggressive. They MAY need to be separated at some point no matter what size tank you have.

2> Do you have a basking area? The turtles need a basking platform where they can get completely out of the water. Unless you're using a floating dock, this platform should remain at a constant distance from the UVA, UVB, Heat bulbs. This might help for the lighting questions: http://www.redearslider.com/index_lighting_basking.html

3> That Aqua One 500 would handle about 40 litres or 31 gallons of turtle water. It's quite a bit undersized for your tank... ESP with two turtles. This thread may help for filter size: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30145
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:02 pm   Re: Please read this (tank size issues)

Lol Zacbuttcrack.... I don't mean to be rude, but your nickname really gave me a good laugh :D
sinarstar
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Jun 30, 2011
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 75 guests