Habitat - Indoor :: Sand for large turtle?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:14 pm   Sand for large turtle?

Does anyone here use sand for larger turtles? I have a turtle that's about 8 or 9 inches and I currently don't have much on the bottom. There are some medium and large rocks to keep her entertained. I'd like to put something there for aesthetic purposes, but rocks are so heavy (bigger rocks can be expensive too) and moving is possible in the next year. A small layer of sand would be nice, but I'm concerned about using it. She's always acting like she's trying to eat the rocks, pushes them around everywhere. Would I just have a big cloudy, sandy mess? And would she just eat it? Thanks for any input.
User avatar
Chazz
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Jun 17, 2010

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:06 pm   Re: Sand for large turtle?

The cloudiness should dissipate. The success or failure of the sand will depend on your turtle. Some RES will endlessly try to eat it, so I would take it out if that happens. Only way to find out is to try it.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:52 pm   Re: Sand for large turtle?

Thank you. It's hard to imagine that she wouldn't try to eat it, what with the gusto she goes after rocks, and anything else including filter intakes :/ It's probably not worth the effort. I'm envious of people with pretty turtle tanks with substrate and decor and fish. :)
User avatar
Chazz
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Jun 17, 2010

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:06 pm   Re: Sand for large turtle?

My big mommas love the sand but I will warn you, they have a habit of digging it all over to one side of the tank! They love it though :). I dont have very much in mine is probably why. Just make sure you read the Sand FAQ ...otherwise you will have a LONG day with it. Make sure you rinse rinse rinse before you put it in the tank and turn your filter off!
1 Standard Poodle- Tegan
1 Ferret- Xander
2 RES- Raina and Sylvie
1 Betta- Lizardman
User avatar
sflemin2
 
Posts: 998
Joined: Mar 20, 2011
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:10 pm   Re: Sand for large turtle?

See the "optional setup" for new tanks in this thread. It will help you with new sand....

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30145
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 138 guests