Habitat - Indoor :: I'm in trouble....

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:32 pm   I'm in trouble....

Hi Everyone,
As you might know by now, I am new to taking care of red ear sliders. Jeffrey, the crushed sinus and broken jaw wild RES that I'm taking care of, just got an upgrade in aquarium size. But stupid old me put sand from a weather ditch, which we live close by, in there thinking it would be OK. Well I guess you can all see why I am in trouble... I didn't wash the sand. Now the water is all red like the wolf river around Collierville, TN. Should I dump all the water out and remove all the sand. It will take a lot of work and time, is there any other way to correct this major problem? I'm sorry to present this to you all. Any help will be appreciated!
May the Sacred Heart Bless You,
Lizzia
Lizzia
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Apr 16, 2011

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:27 pm   Re: I'm in trouble....

So sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you're going to have to start again. Pool filter sand or play sand from a hardware store is best. And you still have to wash it first. Good luck with your rescues.
Stupid is as stupid does. - Forest Gump
The only dumb question is one not asked.
Love of Animals
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Jan 5, 2011
Location: Yorktown, NY
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:16 pm   Re: I'm in trouble....

I'd agree and the sooner the better
3 Beautiful RES- Charlie, Franklin and Sheldon
1 Tabby Mix - Simba
User avatar
xfallwithmexo
 
Posts: 389
Joined: Dec 21, 2010
Location: New York, NY

Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:24 am   Re: I'm in trouble....

Pool filter sand will require the least effort to prepare. But, you can also leave the tank bare if you don't have the time to prepare anything.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:59 am   Re: I'm in trouble....

Thanks to Love of Animals, xfallwithmexo, and steve for all your help. Everything is taken care of and I guess I can use play sand if I want to put sand in there. May God Bless You All!!!!!
Lizzia
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Apr 16, 2011

Post Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:02 pm   Re: I'm in trouble....

I have two docks and one has a sand bed on it. The turtles always take a little with them in the tank and I use the play sand from home depot thats about 4 bucks a bag. It does cloud up the water a little but it's not harmful. Just vacuum it like you vacuum gravel and the larger pieces will be left behind, so over time the cloudiness will diminish.
seanb1979
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sep 23, 2010


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 85 guests