Habitat - Indoor :: Planted Tank

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:50 pm   Planted Tank

Hey everyone,

I made Tucker's old tank into a planted tank. I have a few questions though. Does anyone grow plants to feed to their turtle? I have a small left over bit of Anacharis, Java or Water Fern, and Amazon Swords in this tank.

Are the aquarium lights that came with the hood sufficient to grow the plants? It's an 8,000 K 17 W bulb in a 20 gallon tank. the tank has about 19 gallons in it.

Should I add fish and a bubbler?

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
Attachments
Planted Tank.JPG
Planted Tank 2.JPG
STOP SNAPPER FEST! LETS GRAB SOME HILLBILLIES BY THEIR MULLETS AND THROW THEM TO THE GROUND!
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/stopsnapperfest/

My build thread!
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31728
User avatar
Tucker Allen
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Apr 4, 2011
Location: Central Illinois
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:57 pm   Re: Planted Tank

Take out that gravel, He can eat it and get hurt. Add sand its cleaner nicer and you can still plant your plants just as easily.
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
User avatar
Ranger The Red Ear Slider
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Jun 18, 2010
Location: San Antonio
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:06 pm   Re: Planted Tank

This is his turtle's old tank, no gravel danger there!

I'd also like to know other people's experiences on lights and wattage for plant growing.
1 RES: Everglade
2 Cats: Leeloo & Megadeth
kriminologie
 
Posts: 57
Joined: May 12, 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:30 pm   Re: Planted Tank

Ohh! Okay :) I don't know much about plant growing, Ancharis grow like crazy and don't need much other then some light and water.
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
User avatar
Ranger The Red Ear Slider
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Jun 18, 2010
Location: San Antonio
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:44 pm   Re: Planted Tank

fish would help, and u have less than 1 watt per gallon right now which isnt good. you want a minimum of 2 watts per gallon for most planted tanks. although ive seen ppl break this rule in small tanks such as yours and get away with it
65 Gallon
-1 RES (Myrtle)
-1 Pleco (unnamed)
-1 four lined pimelodus catfish (unnamed)
-1 shubunkin (unnamed)
29 Gallon Planted Tank
-3 cory cats
-# guppies!
User avatar
rsour24
 
Posts: 1678
Joined: Sep 7, 2009
Location: PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:33 am   Re: Planted Tank

I don't have a light yet for mine (all funds have been going to the new turtle tank) so mine is in the sun. I have the dreaded blue green algae :(.

Tucker, my plants grew so much better when I put a little betta fish in there! I wouldnt get a betta if I were you since your tank is bigger but you should get some fish to help fertilize :). My turtles LOVE weekends because its when I trim down the plants and they get lots of water sprite (because thats all the pet store had lol).
1 Standard Poodle- Tegan
1 Ferret- Xander
2 RES- Raina and Sylvie
1 Betta- Lizardman
User avatar
sflemin2
 
Posts: 998
Joined: Mar 20, 2011
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:32 pm   Re: Planted Tank

Wouldn't a normal fluorescent light bulb do good as a light source?
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
User avatar
Ranger The Red Ear Slider
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Jun 18, 2010
Location: San Antonio
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:03 pm   Re: Planted Tank

That's what I'm thinking. The normal light should work. The light is only a few inches or so from the tops of the plants so it should make them grow. I'll just watch the plants. If they aren't growing in a few weeks or so, I'll look into getting a new bulb. I did get two fire guppies though! They look awesome. Have red/orange tails. Looks neat with the blue/black gravel.
STOP SNAPPER FEST! LETS GRAB SOME HILLBILLIES BY THEIR MULLETS AND THROW THEM TO THE GROUND!
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/stopsnapperfest/

My build thread!
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31728
User avatar
Tucker Allen
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Apr 4, 2011
Location: Central Illinois
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:41 am   Re: Planted Tank

Thats what I used for my anacharis and they grew like crazy with it. I don't thing plants need any kind of different lighting since they do grow in nature from one light source.. the sun haha.
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
User avatar
Ranger The Red Ear Slider
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Jun 18, 2010
Location: San Antonio
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:39 am   Re: Planted Tank

I just got a normal light for mine.. curious to see how it goes! I will update in a week
1 Standard Poodle- Tegan
1 Ferret- Xander
2 RES- Raina and Sylvie
1 Betta- Lizardman
User avatar
sflemin2
 
Posts: 998
Joined: Mar 20, 2011
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:37 am   Re: Planted Tank

The blue is so nice...great job, Tucker Allen--

I don't have a light for my new tank yet either...Just the UVA & UVB..but I couldn't use a hood b/c the hoses come up over the edge and then a hood can't sit there?
~and 3 rescued cats
Miss Tee
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Jan 8, 2011
Location: Philly, USA
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:42 am   Re: Planted Tank

Hoods sometimes have pieces that are perforated in the back. This way you can cut off the pieces to fit your tubing.
Stupid is as stupid does. - Forest Gump
The only dumb question is one not asked.
Love of Animals
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Jan 5, 2011
Location: Yorktown, NY
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:16 am   Re: Planted Tank

I have had my regular ol cabinet light over my tank for a few days now.. plants arent growing as fast as they did with sun/household light but the algae is much better. I want to get the hood and light but the hood alone is $30!!!!!!!!!!!
1 Standard Poodle- Tegan
1 Ferret- Xander
2 RES- Raina and Sylvie
1 Betta- Lizardman
User avatar
sflemin2
 
Posts: 998
Joined: Mar 20, 2011
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:48 am   Re: Planted Tank

Miss Tee wrote:The blue is so nice...great job, Tucker Allen--

I don't have a light for my new tank yet either...Just the UVA & UVB..but I couldn't use a hood b/c the hoses come up over the edge and then a hood can't sit there?


You can cut or drill notches in the back side of the hood to let the hoses come up and into the tank while the hood is in place. Look at the build thread in my signature for an example.
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 134 guests