Habitat - Indoor :: Pebbles? or no pebbles?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:13 pm   Pebbles? or no pebbles?

Hey, I was wondering, would it be alright if I added medium-large sized pebbles(about the size of a US dollar coin) to my tank. Because I already have large river stones, but the tank seems bare and not very lively. I'm not sure if Sora can fit them into her mouth(though I'm sure she'll try), but I'm fairly confident she can't swallow them.
What do you guys think? Good Idea?Bad Idea? :?
~Pets~
1 RES- Female(Sora)8.5"
1 RES- Male(Teddy)5.5"
~Turtles in Bermuda~
http://www.conservation.bm/diamondback-terrapin/

http://www.conservation.bm/red-eared-slider/
~Spca Bermuda~
http://www.spca.bm/
User avatar
Sora
 
Posts: 99
Joined: May 29, 2011
Location: Bermuda
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:55 pm   Re: Pebbles? or no pebbles?

If you're not sure if they can fit in her mouth then I wouldn't risk it. What about sand?
User avatar
happycamper
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: May 5, 2010
Location: Idaho
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:12 pm   Re: Pebbles? or no pebbles?

I would love to have sand, but my filter would most likely suck it up, because it takes in even large particles to keep the water clean. Besides, I'm not sure my pet store carries turtle safe sand(they're kinda behind). Maybe I should buy plants to liven the tank?(Real and Fake)
~Pets~
1 RES- Female(Sora)8.5"
1 RES- Male(Teddy)5.5"
~Turtles in Bermuda~
http://www.conservation.bm/diamondback-terrapin/

http://www.conservation.bm/red-eared-slider/
~Spca Bermuda~
http://www.spca.bm/
User avatar
Sora
 
Posts: 99
Joined: May 29, 2011
Location: Bermuda
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:13 pm   Re: Pebbles? or no pebbles?

Just up the size a little, make sure the pebbles are at least the size of her head.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:18 pm   Re: Pebbles? or no pebbles?

Okay. The smallest ones are the size of her front legs( I don't use those ones). I have to go to the pet store tomorrow anyway, I'll check it out. Thanks :)
~Pets~
1 RES- Female(Sora)8.5"
1 RES- Male(Teddy)5.5"
~Turtles in Bermuda~
http://www.conservation.bm/diamondback-terrapin/

http://www.conservation.bm/red-eared-slider/
~Spca Bermuda~
http://www.spca.bm/
User avatar
Sora
 
Posts: 99
Joined: May 29, 2011
Location: Bermuda
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:00 am   Re: Pebbles? or no pebbles?

If your turtle is able to fit the rock in his mouth he is able to eat it or choke on it.
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
User avatar
Ranger The Red Ear Slider
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Jun 18, 2010
Location: San Antonio
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:54 pm   Re: Pebbles? or no pebbles?

So, I go to the pet store today, and when I look for the rocks I wanted, they didn't have any left! :evil: They only had rocks that are really meant for fish and newts/frogs.
Image
Those are the only ones they have they say, and that its a variety of sizes and colours. They just scoop them up and charge by the pound.

I really don't like my pet store, and the fact that they're one of the only two we have is annoying.
(It's really a store for birds and rabbits, but they've started doing fish as well.)
So I guess no pebbles for Sora :( .
~Pets~
1 RES- Female(Sora)8.5"
1 RES- Male(Teddy)5.5"
~Turtles in Bermuda~
http://www.conservation.bm/diamondback-terrapin/

http://www.conservation.bm/red-eared-slider/
~Spca Bermuda~
http://www.spca.bm/
User avatar
Sora
 
Posts: 99
Joined: May 29, 2011
Location: Bermuda
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:56 pm   Re: Pebbles? or no pebbles?

I had those exact same rocks for my Aquarium, he ended up eating them and I had to take him to the vet. I wouldn't use those, even the large ones I saw were kinda soft and would break in half after some time.
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
User avatar
Ranger The Red Ear Slider
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Jun 18, 2010
Location: San Antonio
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:17 pm   Re: Pebbles? or no pebbles?

Are you sure sand would be a problem? I have sand, and a pretty good canister filter, I have never had any issues... (knock on wood)
User avatar
happycamper
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: May 5, 2010
Location: Idaho
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:29 pm   Re: Pebbles? or no pebbles?

Well, i'll have to ask the pet store guy wether or not the sand they carry is okay for turtles, cause it doesn't look very heavy. I'm afraid that if Sora kicks the sand up, that it would get sucked right up into the filter(its above water with a stick in the water that sucks in particles and stuff, then recycles it back in a waterfall like fashion(its a Whisper filter).
~Pets~
1 RES- Female(Sora)8.5"
1 RES- Male(Teddy)5.5"
~Turtles in Bermuda~
http://www.conservation.bm/diamondback-terrapin/

http://www.conservation.bm/red-eared-slider/
~Spca Bermuda~
http://www.spca.bm/
User avatar
Sora
 
Posts: 99
Joined: May 29, 2011
Location: Bermuda
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:21 am   Re: Pebbles? or no pebbles?

I i think you can use the sand from homedepot or lowes. Search around you will find a thread for sand. So it don't have to be from pet store. it pretty cheap.
Bao Bao & Bei Bei
Justin3344
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Oct 22, 2009

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:30 am   Re: Pebbles? or no pebbles?

Sora is in Bermuda, so I don't know if they have those stores. However, there should be some local hardware stores for sand. And a lot of places sell river rock. Check florists and floral sections in big box stores.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:07 am   Re: Pebbles? or no pebbles?

Also, Sora think twice about information you get from pet store employees. They are often wrong. And some of their advice is dangerous. If you have questions post a topic before your trip to the pet store. You'll get more reliable information here.
Stupid is as stupid does. - Forest Gump
The only dumb question is one not asked.
Love of Animals
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Jan 5, 2011
Location: Yorktown, NY
Gender: Female


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 116 guests