Habitat - Indoor :: I keep my 3.5 inch turtle in a 20 gallon long D:

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:01 am   I keep my 3.5 inch turtle in a 20 gallon long D:

Well i was wondering if keeping my turtle :mrgreen: in a 20 gallon long tank that i had custom made for me wrong.
I started thinking about this issue after reading in the care sheet about the 10 gallon per inch rule......which means i should be keeping mine at least a 40 gallon.
just wondering guys, how long more do you think i can keep my turtle in a 20 gallon?
He seems pretty small in his tank so far, and has lots of swimming space :wink:
6months old RES ~Shadow
i.love.res
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Nov 26, 2010
Location: Singapore

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:29 am   Re: I keep my 3.5 inch turtle in a 20 gallon long D:

You are going to need a bigger tank anyway because that baby isnt done growing! Depending on if he is a boy or a girl.. you may end up with a 10 - 12 inch turtle! Until you can get a bigger tank, you should build an above tank basking area so that he can have as much room as possible
1 Standard Poodle- Tegan
1 Ferret- Xander
2 RES- Raina and Sylvie
1 Betta- Lizardman
User avatar
sflemin2
 
Posts: 998
Joined: Mar 20, 2011
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:35 am   Re: I keep my 3.5 inch turtle in a 20 gallon long D:

I am in the same position as you, i.love.res, and I only have a 14 gallon tank (10 gallons of water). My Res seems comfortable, she swims nice, but I am already preparing for the turtle topper (see here). And we also need a lamp on top of it... :mrgreen:
1 RES: Res
3 dogs: Stivi, Myra & Paté
2 cats: Smoez & Pandora
8 stray dogs to care for: R.I.P. Rudy, Spitha, Muco, Milly, Foivi, Malbo, Rudolf, Themis, Nefeli
5 stray cats to care for: Blind, Archi, Lykourgos, and their 2 female companions.
User avatar
marboo
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Feb 12, 2011
Location: Athens, Greece
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:01 am   Re: I keep my 3.5 inch turtle in a 20 gallon long D:

Thats way to expensive in my opinion..then again, I love DIY projects :). You can make an ATBA for next to nothing (and no power tools even). I have been through every page of the basking area picture thread like 17 times haha. Heck you could probably get a bigger tank off of Craiglist for the price of that topper! As for the lights, Walmart has the lamps pretty cheap..the petstore will sell you the same thing with a HUGE markup. The heat lamp is just a regular light bulb..you can use any lamp for that. I have one in a regular floor lamp pointing at my plant tank until I can by the clamp on haha. The other light you need is ..$7? I think? You may get lucky on Craigslist. A lot of times, when they sell the tank, they will include the filters, heaters, ect.
1 Standard Poodle- Tegan
1 Ferret- Xander
2 RES- Raina and Sylvie
1 Betta- Lizardman
User avatar
sflemin2
 
Posts: 998
Joined: Mar 20, 2011
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:24 pm   Re: I keep my 3.5 inch turtle in a 20 gallon long D:

You'll know soon if your turtle is male or female. Keep in mind, females will be larger than males and require more space.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:13 pm   Re: I keep my 3.5 inch turtle in a 20 gallon long D:

sflemin2 wrote:Thats way to expensive in my opinion..then again, I love DIY projects :)

sflemin2, knowing myself, I'll spend way more in DIY than buying the turtle topper.... :oops:
Moreover, I can't use Craiglist, since I live in Greece - actually there is a Craiglist here, to my astonishment, but there is nothing in there for animals, let alone turtles... :(
1 RES: Res
3 dogs: Stivi, Myra & Paté
2 cats: Smoez & Pandora
8 stray dogs to care for: R.I.P. Rudy, Spitha, Muco, Milly, Foivi, Malbo, Rudolf, Themis, Nefeli
5 stray cats to care for: Blind, Archi, Lykourgos, and their 2 female companions.
User avatar
marboo
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Feb 12, 2011
Location: Athens, Greece
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:33 pm   Re: I keep my 3.5 inch turtle in a 20 gallon long D:

Well, i'm pretty sure my turtles a male since i often see him fluttering and trying to hump the rock in his tank XD
One more thing, my tank currently has rims at the sides, and so i was wondering, will clipping the exo terra glow reflector to the rim cause the tank to have any problems? the clip is really strong, and it presses down hard, i am just afraid that it might cause the rim to crack or break or some thing 0.o
6months old RES ~Shadow
i.love.res
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Nov 26, 2010
Location: Singapore

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:06 am   Re: I keep my 3.5 inch turtle in a 20 gallon long D:

Marboo, egg crate (in the lighting section) is super cheap. I am in the process of building an ATBA with it right now..heres a shot (It is no where near finished!!! I will post a build thread.. but anyway this is egg crate). ImageI have enough from one sheet of egg crate to do the whole basking area for a 150 gallon tank. One sheet is $10. You can make the entire thing out of it if you want. I like how people use a piece of tile and just set it in the lip of the rim of the tank..I think it looks really nice. A piece of tile is less than a $1 :)

i.love.res, thats what the clip is for..it should be fine :) If you are concerned though, I have seen a couple of different ways to hang the light. Someone on here had the idea of getting a plant hanger to screw in the wall and hanging it from there (which I did with my last tank!)
1 Standard Poodle- Tegan
1 Ferret- Xander
2 RES- Raina and Sylvie
1 Betta- Lizardman
User avatar
sflemin2
 
Posts: 998
Joined: Mar 20, 2011
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:04 am   Re: I keep my 3.5 inch turtle in a 20 gallon long D:

Thanks for the suggestion, i'm just worried the tank might crack and i'll end up having a flooded room XD
6months old RES ~Shadow
i.love.res
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Nov 26, 2010
Location: Singapore

Post Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:53 pm   Re: I keep my 3.5 inch turtle in a 20 gallon long D:

i.love.res wrote:Thanks for the suggestion, i'm just worried the tank might crack and i'll end up having a flooded room XD

Do not read this viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29488 :)
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:56 am   Re: I keep my 3.5 inch turtle in a 20 gallon long D:

I have my Ranger which is 4 inches in a 40 gallon. It doesn't seem too small for him at all. I recently had him in a 20 gallon which did seem small for him but didn't really affect him.
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
User avatar
Ranger The Red Ear Slider
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Jun 18, 2010
Location: San Antonio
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:53 am   Re: I keep my 3.5 inch turtle in a 20 gallon long D:

LOL Steve!!!

Ranger, 4 inches in 40 follows the 10 gall per inch of shell.. but he will grow!
1 Standard Poodle- Tegan
1 Ferret- Xander
2 RES- Raina and Sylvie
1 Betta- Lizardman
User avatar
sflemin2
 
Posts: 998
Joined: Mar 20, 2011
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:24 pm   Re: I keep my 3.5 inch turtle in a 20 gallon long D:

Yeah I know, 40 gallons was the biggest I could put in my upstairs room. I'm going to build him a outdoor pond when he gets a little bigger then 5 inches.
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
User avatar
Ranger The Red Ear Slider
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Jun 18, 2010
Location: San Antonio
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:45 pm   Re: I keep my 3.5 inch turtle in a 20 gallon long D:

He is going to love that! You have plenty of time :)
1 Standard Poodle- Tegan
1 Ferret- Xander
2 RES- Raina and Sylvie
1 Betta- Lizardman
User avatar
sflemin2
 
Posts: 998
Joined: Mar 20, 2011
Gender: Female


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 162 guests