Habitat - Indoor :: Trying to give my turtles the perfect tank. Help please!

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:04 pm   Trying to give my turtles the perfect tank. Help please!

Well, here is some backround info. I am currently living in china, where on the street people sell RES's on carts, like 50 in a tank. I saw them, and felt the looked so pityful so decided to take two home. They are small, less than 4 inches, which I didn't find out until afterwards arnt the best to buy. Anyway, when i got them i thought they were land turtles, I did not know they needed water and ths such. Anyway, most people here just thought the turles in a jar with a inch of water and call it a day, and then are dumbfounded when the poor souls die. Now, after finding out they were infact not land, but water turtles I dedicded to try my best to make them happy and healthy. But its a little hard, since both language barriers persist and more so, the pet industry (for turtles at least) is not so developed here.

The tank itself has a ramp which the turtles can climb upon, as weel as rocks for the same. The tank is 7 in. long, 5 in. wide, with current water level at 1.5 inch. Is it too deep? Too shallow? The light is a UVB for Reptitles, but is it too far or too close from the tank (6 in, taking into account the place where they dry off, maybe 9 in). Is the position okay? I have no wwater filter, but change the water every other day about. Here are some pics to help.

Sorry if I seem like a real ammature. I didnt know it would require so much effot when I got them, but now that I do I want to try to make them have a good home, but at the same time I have pretty limited supply and means. I have 2 RES, by the way.
Attachments
IMG_0863.JPG
side view. is the water too deep?
IMG_0864.JPG
aerial view.
light.JPG
the light, about 6 inches from the tank. Is it too far away?
light.JPG (40.58 KiB) Viewed 1934 times
User avatar
paperbag_prince
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Apr 3, 2011
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:51 pm   Re: Trying to give my turtles the perfect tank. Help please!

dont worry everybody starts somewhere. if you look at the info site instead of the forum section you can find everything you need to know such as water height, temp, tank size, food etc. you can start with getting a bigger tank and raising the water. the only way they can drown is if they flip upside down and cant flip back. so more water the better. but just read the info and do whatever is best for you. :wink:
1 little green dudette that goes by Captain Squishy
User avatar
steamd rice
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Jul 6, 2010
Location: utah

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:04 pm   Re: Trying to give my turtles the perfect tank. Help please!

Hi, welcome to the site. If you are near a major city, you should be able to find lots of good aquarium supplies. You'd want the water level to be as high as the turtles are long... that way there's no chance for them to flip over and drown. When you are ready to put together a better setup, you can fill it as high as possible without the possibility of escape.

A UVB with a distance of 6" sounds OK, but I would keep it a little further away. New bulbs also need a "burn-in" period. There should be directions on what distance to keep it at. If there isn't, then the distance might depend on the strength of UVB output. With fluorescents, they are measured in microwatts per second/cm2 (usually 25 or 50) or as a percentage (3.0, 5.0 or 10.0) and the higher numbers represent greater UVB output. You can avoid the highest ones as those are usually meant for desert reptiles.

I'd look into a better basking area and some good turtle pellets. You might need to have those specific items shipped to you as I would imagine those would be that hardest items to find (in terms of quality or variety).
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:26 am   Re: Trying to give my turtles the perfect tank. Help please!

Okay. So, I added some more water, now it is about 2 inches deep, I may add more after monitoring the turtles. I put the tile peices untop of the raised platform, so I could incease the water. It seems fine, but they have not yet climbed onto the rocks yet, so I will keep watching. I am a little worried they will be able to crawl out, so agian, I will watch and maybe remove a rock or two.

As for food, I have some turtle pillets which I use. I also feed them some squid about every other day, which they seem to like. I have tried some dandielion leaves, but they don't seem to at this time take a liking to them, ill keep trying.

Any more advice.
Attachments
IMG_0872.JPG
IMG_0870.JPG
IMG_0871.JPG
User avatar
paperbag_prince
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Apr 3, 2011
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:08 am   Re: Trying to give my turtles the perfect tank. Help please!

The UV light looks like its too far away from them. A lot of people use light diffusers/egg crate to act as a cover for open areas of the tank. This would prevent any escape, and distance permitting allow you to place lamps closer to the basking area.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:50 pm   Re: Trying to give my turtles the perfect tank. Help please!

Guys, I need more advice please. HELP! bump!
User avatar
paperbag_prince
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Apr 3, 2011
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:17 am   Re: Trying to give my turtles the perfect tank. Help please!

Like what? Just read the site and old forum posts. There's more than you'd ever want to know. Just search your questions you'll find an answer. If not ask. There's a lot of people that like to help. Good luck.
Nikita the RES
User avatar
richieboy
 
Posts: 305
Joined: Feb 13, 2011
Location: New York
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:48 am   Re: Trying to give my turtles the perfect tank. Help please!

You need a heat light as well as a UVB light over the basking area to encourage them to bask. Please read the link below it will help you.
http://www.redearslider.com/index_basic_care.html
Stupid is as stupid does. - Forest Gump
The only dumb question is one not asked.
Love of Animals
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Jan 5, 2011
Location: Yorktown, NY
Gender: Female


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 91 guests