Habitat - Indoor :: easy wood waterproofing?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:21 pm   easy wood waterproofing?

I'm building something out of wood, a box, that will be placed into a tank. It will not need structural support, only water proofing. Something easy to apply, preferably black in color, non toxic, and preferably durable against scratches. Is there something I can use? Links please.
40 Gallon Breeder.
Mango - Red Ear Slider, Female, 4 Inches.
enz660
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Jan 16, 2011

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:44 pm   Re: easy wood waterproofing?

I was trying to figure this out myself... the only thing I could find was Krylon Fusion spraypaint, but I am unsure how well it would actually seal wood :(
User avatar
happycamper
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: May 5, 2010
Location: Idaho
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:04 pm   Re: easy wood waterproofing?

I'd suggest not using wood. You can get black acrylic that will hold up under water. Depending on what you're building, you can get black synthetic decking material like trex at your local hardware store. You work with it like wood, but it's a plastic product.

If it has to be wood, the only thing I can think of is to cover it in black fiber glass resin / hardener. It's water proof but not sure how it will hold up to scratching.

Krylon fusion is really intended to bond to plastic. It won't seal wood and hold up underwater.
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 81 guests

cron