Habitat - Indoor :: More filter/tank issues

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:40 pm   More filter/tank issues

I recently bought a new filter a rena xp3 and a few days later the water is cloudy and murky and I'm about to throw my whole setup out the window. I cleaned the canister and fished out all debris from the tank and still nothing. I understand the water becomes cloudy at some point and only for a little while, but I just don't know what I'm doing wrong . at this point the only thing i can guess is that the tank is too small?? but then wouldn't it be easier to keep clean?
GloStick23
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mar 9, 2011
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:32 pm   Re: More filter/tank issues

How big is the tank? I think the cloudy water thing is normal when you set up your filter. Just make sure you have enough bio filtration (stars, rings). I know my Rena came with stars and I bought an extra bag. You can just go to the pet store and by another bag. Even after the extra bag I can still fit more. Don't clean the stars, if you must, rinse them off in tank water. Your water should clear up in time.
Nikita the RES
User avatar
richieboy
 
Posts: 305
Joined: Feb 13, 2011
Location: New York
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:28 pm   Re: More filter/tank issues

the tank is only 20 gallons. Thanks I'm going to go to the pet store tomorrow
GloStick23
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mar 9, 2011
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:04 am   Re: More filter/tank issues

It needs to cycle, but the XP3 is a bit much in a 20 gallon too. How big is the turtle?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:41 am   Re: More filter/tank issues

It's either the tank is in process of cycling and you are seeing a bacteria bloom, or there's something in the water.


Did you fill the tank with warm water when you set it up or did you fill the tank with cold water and let the heater warm it?

warm water will contain lots of mineral deposits, calcium, rust, etc from your hot water heater system.
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:19 pm   Re: More filter/tank issues

Shes 4 inches. I'm working on getting her a bigger tank. I didn't think about the warm water thing, thanks!!
GloStick23
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mar 9, 2011
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:01 am   Re: More filter/tank issues

Yea wow. That filter is rated for 175 gallons. I use it on my 55 gallon. I guess your preparing for a tank upgrade? I too made the hot water mistake. I nuke a nice big bowl/tupperware in the micro for 5 mins. Pour it in, stir up the water. Watch the thermometer. (also don't put boiling or reallllly hot water in your tank.) I'm sure you know this but I have to say it.
Nikita the RES
User avatar
richieboy
 
Posts: 305
Joined: Feb 13, 2011
Location: New York
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 124 guests