Habitat - Indoor :: My Pond

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:57 pm   My Pond

Hey everyone, I wanted to show you guys what I made a few months ago for my two turtles. Franklin is a male red ear slider and Phoebe is a female yellow belly slider. I made a pond in my living room for the two of them. Here's my flickr site because I didn't know any other way to put more pictures up on this site. I do have a bit of a problem with the one sides structure and I haven't been able to figure out how to fix it. If anyone has any suggestions for me to make my tub better please let me know. Thanks for looking.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60704397@N ... /lightbox/
colemanbrians
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mar 15, 2011

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:25 pm   Re: My Pond

awesome. i love how it is the center piece. my suggestions would be to finish the sides off to give it more of a finished look. also maybe install an outlet in the floor or somethign so you dont have cords everything just to help get rid of some cords on ur floor. that my 2 cents but its awesome. how many gallons is that?
65 Gallon
-1 RES (Myrtle)
-1 Pleco (unnamed)
-1 four lined pimelodus catfish (unnamed)
-1 shubunkin (unnamed)
29 Gallon Planted Tank
-3 cory cats
-# guppies!
User avatar
rsour24
 
Posts: 1678
Joined: Sep 7, 2009
Location: PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:42 pm   Re: My Pond

Looks very nice. Which side structure is giving you problems?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:00 pm   Re: My Pond

Thank you very much. Yes I was figuring over the summer time to make it better looking but I am at school now and this is at my parents house so I don't have much time to work on it. And yes I need to move the cords, my mom says that's the only problem with the setup! It's a 100 gallon...? The amount is slipping my head. About 60 gallons filled up as of right now.

DSC_0514.jpg


This is the part where it's giving me problems as you can see it's bent and folded.

It is on the right side of the tub. I've put down the big blocks you see in the pictures to hold the side steady. It hasn't gotten any worse since I've put the water in. Right now I am content with what is happening so I have to live with it.
colemanbrians
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mar 15, 2011

Post Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:48 am   Re: My Pond

I thought the pond would be thicker. I guess when you decide to give it more finish, you can add additional bracing. Maybe even add some pond liner to give an additional layer of protection from leaks or accidents. It has a lot of potential, it's pretty cool that your parents would let you do this :)
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:28 pm   Re: My Pond

Yeah, this is one that should be put in the ground and surrounded by hard dirt or substance. I don't think it was supposed to be supporting it self so if anyone does do a pond like this then try to get one that will support itself. I keep trying to add bracing, I think over the summer I'm going to empty it and see if there is anything I can possibly do. And yes they are very cool. Never know what they'll say if you just ask...now I am working on them letting me buy a tortoise. It isn't working though.
colemanbrians
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mar 15, 2011

Post Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:23 pm   Re: My Pond

Once the additional bracing is in place, you might want to try using expanding foam or sand as filler. As for the tortoise, maybe if you can create a cool enclosure for it they'll reconsider :)
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:10 am   Re: My Pond

Looking at the basking area, does the left side have additional plexiglass to keep the turts from falling off? It appears (in the pictures) that the right side is blocked by a planter, but the left side is open.
My Babies are:
Filbert... given to a new home :(
Johnny - DSH tabby
Cid - DSH calico
KatieSmeltzer
 
Posts: 224
Joined: May 15, 2009


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 138 guests