Habitat - Indoor :: Beware of Fluval Filter!!! Dangerous!!!

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:30 pm   Beware of Fluval Filter!!! Dangerous!!!

I just wanted to send out a little warning to anyone who may have a Fluval or similar filter. I have a Fluval FX5 on my turtles' tank and today it malfunctioned and I sadly lost my turtle. The particular filter system we have has two tubes, one that sucks water out of the tank, and one that puts clean water back in. The safety grate on the outtake valve somehow came off during the night and the smaller of my two turtles got sucked up and stuck to it. When I woke up this morning, I heard the filter making loud noises and saw the turtle attached to the valve. I'm not sure how long he'd been there but he couldn't get his head out of the water to breathe and didn't survive. I am completely heart broken about this and not entirely sure how it happened. Please, please, please check the safety cover on your valves. Make sure they are secured tightly, and check it often. We've had ours running for over two years with zero problems until today. I'm not sure how the cover came off, but it ended horribly. I'm hoping that everyone reading this goes and checks their filters and hopefully no one else will have the horror of dealing with this same tragedy.

I haven't written on this forum in a few years (actually had to set up a new account today because I couldn't remember my old one) but some of you may remember my turtles from way back when. We have Lilo (RES) and Stitch (painted). Stitch had two deformed arms and never grew to be very big, but was an extremely happy and playful little guy. Unfortunately his small size and lack of swimming strength is what allowed him to become a victim of the filter. Lilo is much much bigger and wouldn't be effected by the flow of water because of her size. Please folks, if you have this filter, and especially if you have a smaller turtle (Stitch was about six inches) please go tighten those seals.

:(
krzyspam1
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mar 19, 2011
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:38 pm   Re: Beware of Fluval Filter!!! Dangerous!!!

Sorry to hear it :(

We unfortunately read a post like this every few months. It's possible a turtle can bump into it and loosen the intake. It's not limited to canisters and most filters have the potential to have this problem. Some people have glued or siliconed those intakes, others have switched out the tube and use a PVC pipe with holes drilled into them.

I agree, it's a very good idea to regularly check to see if it's secure. I do a visual check a couple times a day and a physical one at least once a week.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:06 am   Re: Beware of Fluval Filter!!! Dangerous!!!

Sorry to hear about your loss :cry:

I had mine on my rena xp3 siliconed on to keep this from happening, since i had read a few threads about the possibility. Luckily the rena smart heater replaced that entire section and it's no longer an issue.
0.1.0 - Trachemys Scripta Elegans (Duper)
1.0.0 - Graptemys Nigrinoda Nigrinoda (Peanut)
0.0.1 - Malaclemys Terrapin Centrata Concentric (Speedy)
User avatar
Jaysea
 
Posts: 515
Joined: Sep 9, 2010
Location: Reading, Pa.
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:45 pm   Re: Beware of Fluval Filter!!! Dangerous!!!

Geez, I think I'm gonna silicone that intake tonight.. BTW, sorry to hear this. :(
Nikita the RES
User avatar
richieboy
 
Posts: 305
Joined: Feb 13, 2011
Location: New York
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 100 guests