Habitat - Indoor :: Irritating Question About Heaters

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:06 pm   Irritating Question About Heaters

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forums and a new RES caretaker. I have an irritating question for you guys. When I inherited my turtle, he came with a hole bunch of equipment. Most of it crap. But one of the things I got was this PETCO Brand heater: http://www.petco.com/product/102227/PET ... aters.aspx
Image
Well, it's like this. Only blue so I think it's essentially the same. Not sure the wattage.

Anyways, I live in AZ and I've been watching the water temp at it's been pretty safe so far (73-78 degrees). But yesterday it dropped to 67 degrees. No bueno. So I decided to throw the heater in just for the night and it kept the water a safe temperature.

My question is this (don't I have a knack for drawing things out?): will this heater be safe? I was concerned about him burning himself or gnawing on the molding and getting sick? I've heard of people using a PVC casing, but I lack both PVC and a power drill so...yeah.

Any tips would be nice! I recently upgraded from a 10 gal to 20 gal if it helps.
nickvicious
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Dec 30, 2010

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:52 pm   Re: Irritating Question About Heaters

It should be fine... they actually sell heater guards, I believe it's from the Tronic brand of heaters.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 138 guests