Habitat - Indoor :: Need help with Habitat setup

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:07 pm   Need help with Habitat setup

Hey guys,

I finally bought 50 g tank, I know it still too small. My fx5 filter is coming in and my turtles are getting used to with me. They eat and swim.
Now, what I want to do is, setup the tank so that it will look nice and more nature for them. Since I got fx5 I don't think I have to worry about clearing them up that much. I am going to put sand in my tank with some river rocks. What do you guys recommend me putting in that tank? Here is my plan

Live Plants - name a few please (I don't know what to get)
Drift wood - (medium size)
Moss - (there are different types of moss, does it matter which one I pick?)
Fish - what go along with them?

If you have any suggestion or recommendation I would love to hear them please.

Thanks,
KoKo
gabloo
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Dec 1, 2010
Location: San Francisco

Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:49 pm   Re: Need help with Habitat setup

java fern
java moss

malayasian drift wood

pleco's, tiger barbs

this is what i have,

no fish dead they all get a long
but it depends on your turtle really
User avatar
prettykitty
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Dec 7, 2010
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Post Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:56 am   Re: Need help with Habitat setup

Do you have to do anything special setup for fish? Like bubble maker or something?
gabloo
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Dec 1, 2010
Location: San Francisco

Post Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:12 pm   Re: Need help with Habitat setup

You don't need a bubbler for fish. Air stones and bubblers aerate the water column and help break down waste. THe output from your FX5 filter will move the water at the top of the tank enough for aeration. I'd personally not add the air tubing or air stone to the tank... your turtle may chew them up.
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:26 am   Re: Need help with Habitat setup

Should i wait till my tank water is cycled before i put in fish? Can my fish live in around 75 - 80 Degree of water? Will they get burn?
gabloo
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Dec 1, 2010
Location: San Francisco

Post Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:16 am   Re: Need help with Habitat setup

Definitely wait until your water is cycled before adding fish. Fish are much much more sensitive to ammonia and nitrite than are turtles.

78 degrees is the ideal temp for most tropical fish.
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 108 guests