Habitat - Indoor :: what is best substrate for terrarium basking?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:50 pm   what is best substrate for terrarium basking?

Hi

I put a terrarium on top of my 140 gallon tank (one of my turtles is 9" so the floating dock does not work) and am wondering what is the best substrate to put inside? The terrarium is 18x18 x 24 and I ordered a PowerSun UVB/Heating bulb. I have 18x18x6" of space to fill with substrate. What do you recommend?

I am using plixiglass and ordered corkbark and plan to create a ramp positioned with plexigalss so they do not fall out. Since my water is high I have mesh on top of the tank.

Thank you,
Dora
dtarver
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Dec 5, 2008
Location: NYC

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:00 pm   Re: what is best substrate for terrarium basking?

I don't think you really need to have a substrate for turtle basking. You just need a platform for them to climb up on. I prefer a piece of tile or acrylic (plexiglass) as it's easy to wipe down and keep clean.
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:12 pm   Re: what is best substrate for terrarium basking?

what do you put on the plexiglass so they don't slip off? I found terrarium carpet that is washable. I am thinking about sticking it on the plexigalss. :-)
dtarver
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Dec 5, 2008
Location: NYC

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:38 pm   Re: what is best substrate for terrarium basking?

If the plexi is flat they won't slide off. You could glue a piece of outdoor carpet onto it (AstroTurf looking stuff).

I use plexi for the ramp to the basking platform as well. For the ramp, I just drill a bunch of holes in it so the turtle can grip the ramp while climbing ot basking from the ramp. Holes in the plexi were free :-), work really well and makes it easy to clean.
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:05 pm   Re: what is best substrate for terrarium basking?

ok... i'll give it a try! Thanks
dtarver
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Dec 5, 2008
Location: NYC

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:00 pm   Re: what is best substrate for terrarium basking?

I use a textured rubber mat (the kind you use for your bathtub) cut to size. My ramp is also made of plexiglass, but it's way too slippery for him to grip. The rubber mat works perfectly.
1 RES - Tomi (75 gal)
1 Leopard Gecko - Leia (20 gal)
2 Fancy goldfish, 1 bn pleco (40 gal breeder)
https://www.facebook.com/varboleda6
User avatar
vear
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Sep 2, 2009
Location: New York
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:12 pm   Re: what is best substrate for terrarium basking?

I used ceramic tile, since it holds a bit of heat from the overhead light, making it more pleasurable for basking.
elwray
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Feb 13, 2009
Location: Central NJ
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:30 pm   Re: what is best substrate for terrarium basking?

How wide is the corkbark? If it's wide enough, you can use that for the basking area.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:55 pm   Re: what is best substrate for terrarium basking?

Yes, I did shove the corkbark in but my 9" turtle needs more swimming space, so I have a terrarium on to of my 140 gallon tank and plan to fill the tank with water for her. Right now she and the 6" male are enjoying the corkbark and half filled tank but I want to give them something better.
dtarver
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Dec 5, 2008
Location: NYC

Post Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:12 pm   Re: what is best substrate for terrarium basking?

If you need a large basking area for more than one turtle, I would use PVC topped with ceramic tile.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:23 pm   Re: what is best substrate for terrarium basking?

I already have the terrarium, but thank you.
dtarver
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Dec 5, 2008
Location: NYC


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 126 guests