Habitat - Indoor :: Tank: Taller or Longer?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:12 pm   Tank: Taller or Longer?

Hi everyone! My res is about the size of the palm of my hand and is about 3 yrs old. Right now I have her in a long 20 gallon tank. My roommate offered to give me his tank (not sure the size) which looks about the same size but it's taller. Does it matter if the tank is tall or long? Should I just stick with the long 20 gallon?


Picture is the tank being offered minus the rocks...

Image
User avatar
2wicky
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Aug 15, 2007

Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:28 pm   Re: Tank: Taller or Longer?

20 long would be better than 20 tall... more space to swim around as opposed to more space to swim up and down... does that make sense? For example in your house, would you want your living room to have a large floor area but low ceiling or a small floor area but a really high ceiling? Most of us would want more floor area, which is what your turtle would also prefer :)
Toby - RES - adopted in December 2007 - 120g tank - Fluval FX5

Max - Pit Bull/Irish Setter/Dalmatian mix - adopted in March 2009
Lola - Pit Bull mix - adopted in June 2009
User avatar
meltedspork
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Feb 13, 2008
Location: Yorkville, IL, USA
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:19 am   Re: Tank: Taller or Longer?

For that example, I would say floor area because gravity keeps me from making use of the rest of the space.. But... yeah, I'm leaning more towards the longer.. I'm moving in 2 weeks so just making sure I know which tank to take..
User avatar
2wicky
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Aug 15, 2007

Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:35 pm   Re: Tank: Taller or Longer?

A 20 gallon bow front would be worth more than a standard 20... I'd try to sell it for future upgrades :)
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 93 guests