Habitat - Indoor :: Urgent: I need perfect advice, not a maybe

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:44 pm   Urgent: I need perfect advice, not a maybe

I made a stand for my 55g and it wobbles on the top so the tank wouldnt be level should i wedge it or say [----] it?
its about a little less than a half inch of wobble.
and remaking it isnt an option.
55g Aquarium : Cascade 700
1 : Red Eared Slider : 6" : Turdy
R.I.P. Munchy :[
1 : Common Plecostomus : 12" : Munchy
User avatar
defdylan
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Jul 8, 2010
Location: Coeur d'Alene, ID

Post Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:48 pm   Re: Urgent: I need perfect advice, not a maybe

can you add more braces to it or something like that?
User avatar
my.lovely.turtle.
 
Posts: 295
Joined: Aug 3, 2010

Post Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:58 pm   Re: Urgent: I need perfect advice, not a maybe

no like the wood must have been bent because the bottom is not wobbly the top when i put the tank on it it wobbles like uhh like theres a space when i can stick my fingers kinda and if the corner was a little higher it wouldnt wobble
55g Aquarium : Cascade 700
1 : Red Eared Slider : 6" : Turdy
R.I.P. Munchy :[
1 : Common Plecostomus : 12" : Munchy
User avatar
defdylan
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Jul 8, 2010
Location: Coeur d'Alene, ID

Post Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:09 pm   Re: Urgent: I need perfect advice, not a maybe

can you show a pic of it?
User avatar
my.lovely.turtle.
 
Posts: 295
Joined: Aug 3, 2010

Post Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:18 pm   Re: Urgent: I need perfect advice, not a maybe

say if you have a board on a stand and if you push on one corner the opposite diagonal goes up. i can take a pic in a minute if you want one
55g Aquarium : Cascade 700
1 : Red Eared Slider : 6" : Turdy
R.I.P. Munchy :[
1 : Common Plecostomus : 12" : Munchy
User avatar
defdylan
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Jul 8, 2010
Location: Coeur d'Alene, ID

Post Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:19 pm   Re: Urgent: I need perfect advice, not a maybe

Image

see all that space (black) i can push that down if i wanted to and the other side would go up
55g Aquarium : Cascade 700
1 : Red Eared Slider : 6" : Turdy
R.I.P. Munchy :[
1 : Common Plecostomus : 12" : Munchy
User avatar
defdylan
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Jul 8, 2010
Location: Coeur d'Alene, ID

Post Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:23 pm   Re: Urgent: I need perfect advice, not a maybe

sorry I can't see the picture. but maybe you can take the top off and level it again?
User avatar
my.lovely.turtle.
 
Posts: 295
Joined: Aug 3, 2010

Post Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:42 pm   Re: Urgent: I need perfect advice, not a maybe

there is no top.
but i put a wedge there and carried the 55g out to the garage and it doesnt wobble at all.
think it will be fine?
and you might not because the url is from my email?
55g Aquarium : Cascade 700
1 : Red Eared Slider : 6" : Turdy
R.I.P. Munchy :[
1 : Common Plecostomus : 12" : Munchy
User avatar
defdylan
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Jul 8, 2010
Location: Coeur d'Alene, ID

Post Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:48 pm   Re: Urgent: I need perfect advice, not a maybe

hmm I'm not sure how to help you there.
User avatar
my.lovely.turtle.
 
Posts: 295
Joined: Aug 3, 2010

Post Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:59 pm   Re: Urgent: I need perfect advice, not a maybe

Either your floor or the stand is not level. Just like a lopsided table, you need to "shim it" to stop the wobble.Wobble is no good for any fish tank, and 55 gal is a decent size.
Cut a piece of wood the size you need to fill and shim it.
User avatar
jozzep
 
Posts: 1497
Joined: Feb 24, 2008
Location: West Orange,NJ

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:03 am   Re: Urgent: I need perfect advice, not a maybe

yeah i shimmed the top and it doesnt wobble.
so ima start fillin it theres no bend or wobble anywhere anymore
55g Aquarium : Cascade 700
1 : Red Eared Slider : 6" : Turdy
R.I.P. Munchy :[
1 : Common Plecostomus : 12" : Munchy
User avatar
defdylan
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Jul 8, 2010
Location: Coeur d'Alene, ID

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:09 am   Re: Urgent: I need perfect advice, not a maybe

defdylan wrote:yeah i shimmed the top and it doesnt wobble.
so ima start fillin it theres no bend or wobble anywhere anymore


cool 8)
Post pics when ur done.
User avatar
jozzep
 
Posts: 1497
Joined: Feb 24, 2008
Location: West Orange,NJ

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:04 am   Re: Urgent: I need perfect advice, not a maybe

absolutely level it before filling!

Make sure anything that is stopping an existing wobble is very sturdy and able to hold a high pressure for extended periods of time. Preferably, your stand would support all areas of the edge, but your best best is leveling so all the glass is taking the same pressure.
-Chris
User avatar
papoopeepoo
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:34 pm   Re: Urgent: I need perfect advice, not a maybe

yeah i did that :) i made sure!
thank you!
ill take pics today
55g Aquarium : Cascade 700
1 : Red Eared Slider : 6" : Turdy
R.I.P. Munchy :[
1 : Common Plecostomus : 12" : Munchy
User avatar
defdylan
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Jul 8, 2010
Location: Coeur d'Alene, ID


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 68 guests