Habitat - Indoor :: Wow, Look what I found....

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:37 pm   Wow, Look what I found....

http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/turtle_pebbles.php

Gets me upset that these "professionals" are making products that harm your turtle.....
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
User avatar
Ranger The Red Ear Slider
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Jun 18, 2010
Location: San Antonio
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:22 pm   Re: Wow, Look what I found....

At first I thought you were mistaken and it was actually a good product, then I read the description a second time and noticed this:

Exo Terra Turtle Pebbles are smooth river pebbles that have rounded over time in fast moving rivers.
Except very few turtle species live in said enviroment.
Exo Terra Small Turtle Pebbles (PT3830) is perfect for turtles with a shell diameter of 4”/10 cm or less. To prevent accidental ingestion in turtles with a shell diameter larger than 4”/10 cm, use Exo Terra Large Turtle Pebbles (PT3833).
This seems reasonable but then...


Small Natural River Pebbles (PT3830):
Round pebbles (8-10 mm / 0.3”-0.4”), safe for all turtles up to 4” or 10 cm
No they're not, a 4" or less turtle could swallow a 8 mm pebble.

Large Natural River Pebbles (PT3833):
Round pebbles (14-16 mm / 0.55”-0.62”), safe for all turtle over 4” or 10 cm
Same as above.

Really, this product is stupid, they go into great lenghts to explain how 'natural' and 'safe' it is but it actually isn't.
They could've just chosen bigger pebbles.
User avatar
Marcus.85
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Mar 11, 2010

Post Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:32 pm   Re: Wow, Look what I found....

I believe they've done their research before coming up with those sizes. If a turtle meeting their requirements were to die from ingesting this substrate, they could risk getting sued.
User avatar
jozzep
 
Posts: 1497
Joined: Feb 24, 2008
Location: West Orange,NJ

Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:13 am   Re: Wow, Look what I found....

yeah at least they mention size. the last product i found at petsmart said nothing about turtles injestion it at all.
All I Want in Life is to be Happy!!
User avatar
Listen97
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Falling Waters WV, US
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:10 am   Re: Wow, Look what I found....

Getting sued on a res death? yeah right.
User avatar
Marcus.85
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Mar 11, 2010

Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:55 am   Re: Wow, Look what I found....

Well they do say "To prevent accidental ingestion in turtles" So if a turtle does eat some thats false advertising which is illegal. But even then they'd probably just say something like "you have no proof our product killed your turtle" or something like that.
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
User avatar
Ranger The Red Ear Slider
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Jun 18, 2010
Location: San Antonio
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:21 pm   Re: Wow, Look what I found....

Bowser could easily, and WOULD easily eat those rocks. :x
Miss Bowser - 7 inch female RES
User avatar
Ashley
 
Posts: 239
Joined: Jul 20, 2010
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:42 pm   Re: Wow, Look what I found....

Marcus.85 wrote:Getting sued on a res death? yeah right.


You're obviously not familiar with the US legal system......
User avatar
jozzep
 
Posts: 1497
Joined: Feb 24, 2008
Location: West Orange,NJ

Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:21 pm   Re: Wow, Look what I found....

jozzep wrote:
Marcus.85 wrote:Getting sued on a res death? yeah right.


You're obviously not familiar with the US legal system......



co-sign.
-Chris
User avatar
papoopeepoo
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 118 guests