Habitat - Indoor :: RES w/ Plecostomus

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:17 pm   RES w/ Plecostomus

Anyone have any experience with having a Pleco living in a tank with there RES? I assume that if he his big enough, my RES will leave him alone...
coopville
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Aug 22, 2010

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:24 pm   Re: RES w/ Plecostomus

coopville wrote:Anyone have any experience with having a Pleco living in a tank with there RES? I assume that if he his big enough, my RES will leave him alone...


I used to assume that too at one point and bought a big one. he was dead in 2 hours.
I tried fast chinese algae eaters......All dead within a few weeks.
You could make 2 trips a week to petco to buy expensive "feeder fish" or learn from my experience and just save your money and the life of those fish
User avatar
jozzep
 
Posts: 1497
Joined: Feb 24, 2008
Location: West Orange,NJ

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:33 pm   Re: RES w/ Plecostomus

Yeah, it's possible. I don't know how likely it is, but my turtles get along just fine with the pleco in their tank.

I adopted a pair of 6" RES that came with a large pleco, also around 6". (The pleco was sold as part of the tank setup.) The previous owner said he got them all when they were babies and they grew up together in the same space so they're very used to each other.They get along great. Sometimes the pleco latches onto one of their shells and just chills there as they swim around. I've seen them sleep together in a huddle before too. It's sickeningly cute. I also have a smaller 2.5" RES that I introduced into the tank and there have been minimal problems, the pleco just pushes him away if he's being overly inquisitive. It's funny, I thought the pleco was pretty much just a poo-eating accessory but it has a personality too. He has some sort of monopoly over the underside of the basking platform and get's huffy if any of the turtles lingers for too long. xD
casketry
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Aug 29, 2010

Post Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:49 am   Re: RES w/ Plecostomus

i have a 12 inch pleco with my 6 inch turt and ever since i put the pleco in there my turt hasnt even looked at him well at first she bit his fin then when she realised it didnt even phase the pleco she left it alone since :D
Last edited by defdylan on Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
55g Aquarium : Cascade 700
1 : Red Eared Slider : 6" : Turdy
R.I.P. Munchy :[
1 : Common Plecostomus : 12" : Munchy
User avatar
defdylan
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Jul 8, 2010
Location: Coeur d'Alene, ID

Post Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:01 am   Re: RES w/ Plecostomus

i had a pleco named spot that was about the same size as filbert. he lasted about 3 days. all filbert did was take a bite out of his tail and it killed spot. now i have snowball, who is slightly larger than filbert. he goes after snowball every once in a while. i've seen filbert get ahold of snowball's fin, but he's been hanging on for about a week and a half now.
My Babies are:
Filbert... given to a new home :(
Johnny - DSH tabby
Cid - DSH calico
KatieSmeltzer
 
Posts: 224
Joined: May 15, 2009

Post Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:31 am   Re: RES w/ Plecostomus

I'd actually be quite upset if my pleco got eaten. He has an adorable personality. On wikipedia it says they can grow up to 2 feet long. Which would be AWESOME. (If I had a tank 1/2 the size of my apartment. -_-) Would an RES go after a fish more than twice their size?
casketry
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Aug 29, 2010

Post Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:52 am   Re: RES w/ Plecostomus

A RES could take some nips...
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:23 pm   Re: RES w/ Plecostomus

i put my pleco in a bucket one time because my tank started leaking and it was filled like half way and we left the house and we came back and my gf started screaming that theres a fish on the floor. lol
and of course there is a pleco on floor it had to be out of the water for about 45min to 1hr it was completely dried and not moving at all. lol but i put it back in the water and it just started swimmin. :) sorry no help but a funny story :)
55g Aquarium : Cascade 700
1 : Red Eared Slider : 6" : Turdy
R.I.P. Munchy :[
1 : Common Plecostomus : 12" : Munchy
User avatar
defdylan
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Jul 8, 2010
Location: Coeur d'Alene, ID

Post Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:56 pm   Re: RES w/ Plecostomus

Lol, my pleco sometimes crawls up the docking ramp to munch on the algae growth. Sometimes his entire head is out of the water and he makes a really loud crunching/sucking noise. Scared me the first time it happened. . . haha. . . we are so off topic.
casketry
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Aug 29, 2010

Post Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:04 pm   Re: RES w/ Plecostomus

yeah mine sucks on the bottom of the dockk. :) and its okay :) its a forum were supposed to talk about it :P hope i helped though lol
55g Aquarium : Cascade 700
1 : Red Eared Slider : 6" : Turdy
R.I.P. Munchy :[
1 : Common Plecostomus : 12" : Munchy
User avatar
defdylan
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Jul 8, 2010
Location: Coeur d'Alene, ID

Post Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:15 pm   Re: RES w/ Plecostomus

I put a baby common Pleco in with my baby Belize Slider. They grew up together, and even though sometimes the Pleco would have a big bite mark on its fin, it would just grow back. One summer I put my turtle in the pond. When I brought her back in(both were now 7in.) The pleco started attacking my turtle so I had to sell it back to the store. Plecos are very agressive and territorial.
1 F RES 9" (Kingler)
1 F Belize Slider 7" (Agamemnon)
My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/condorboy1/videos
User avatar
Linus
 
Posts: 1260
Joined: Jul 31, 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:02 pm   Re: RES w/ Plecostomus

I wish I could put a Pleco in with Charlotte. I've tried different sizes and varieties but the longest i've been able to keep one in with her is 5 days. She's a very agressive turtle and seems to kill it right away. Now I just use snails to help clean the glass - they seem to last a bit longer.
Charlotte - 1yr old RES
User avatar
Turtle Mummy 101
 
Posts: 348
Joined: Dec 13, 2009

Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:48 pm   Re: RES w/ Plecostomus

I had a pleco with my turtle for about 5 months, my turtles took nips off it's fin once in a while but he lasted. My turtles tend to wait until all my fishes are weak and then put them out of their misery. Depends on your turtle, right now I have a rainbow shark eating algae, he's fast enough to swim away and he uses the fake plants as covers. He also uses the cave to hide in.
1 Mississippi Map Turtle 3.25'' (Landslide)
1 Ouachita Map Turtle 4.0'' (Hurricane)
The rest of the turtles have been adopted to good homes. :)
User avatar
n00bEmpty
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Jan 18, 2010


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 127 guests