Habitat - Indoor :: Basking area? Not used?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:51 am   Re: Basking area? Not used?

he had a normal zoo med turtle dock. My father built this especially for him. Why won't he use it? :( He really enjoys the more swimming space now. Oh gosh, I dunno.
User avatar
my.lovely.turtle.
 
Posts: 295
Joined: Aug 3, 2010

Post Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:26 am   Re: Basking area? Not used?

I just changed my turts' basking area into an above tank basking area, and Ninja loves it a lot, but Luffy doesn't seem to like it as much, but he still basks when no one is in the room, I know this because when I enter I can see him basking but he just zooms back down into the water when he notices me. I think they need some time, some turtles are just super explorers like my Ninja and he's not afraid of anything.
User avatar
sagoy
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Jul 24, 2010

Post Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:29 pm   Re: Basking area? Not used?

could he not be using it because of light or heat conditions, I have to get to the bottom of this. I wish I could just make him use it haha. He hangs off the ramp to get some air and rest, but doesn't ever ever attempt to go any further onto the ramp. Could the materials be causing a problem? the ramp is wood. Maybe it needs to be rubber or a softer material? He rests under water on a rock I have in there. He is so terrified of me, as soon as I approach he swims all the way down and hides under the filter. He is in our living room. There is no other place to put him as we are in the smallest basement suite ever. The tv is right close by, could that also be a problem? Maybe there is too much room to swim? not enough room>? Gosh this is driving me crazy.
User avatar
my.lovely.turtle.
 
Posts: 295
Joined: Aug 3, 2010

Post Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:10 pm   Re: Basking area? Not used?

It would be good to give him some privacy by covering up the areas he can see out of when he's up there.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Previous

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 68 guests