Habitat - Indoor :: ARGH!! D: I'm screwed guys need help.

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:40 pm   ARGH!! D: I'm screwed guys need help.

I'm moving with my girlfriend to Michigan and we have a apartment picked out and everything. Problem that I just found out is that. 90 gallons is only acceptable on the first floor... so what do I do... I can sneak it into the apartment but what after that? Should I take the risk? Will the floor really collapse with this tank? -_- I just spent a load of cash on this tank and It's gonna suck if I have to downgrade :(.

Image

This is the tank. the water is actually 7 inches lower now.
User avatar
Rollen
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Jun 7, 2010

Post Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:44 pm   Re: ARGH!! D: I'm screwed guys need help.

Who said 90 gallons for the first floor? Is that their rules? The floor will not collapse :) but you do want to put it where it's stable for the sake of the tank. Against the exterior wall is good... someone in another post had a good explanation about where to place it, like perpendicular to the floor joists.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:00 pm   Re: ARGH!! D: I'm screwed guys need help.

I'll try to find the post, our apartment is set for the 3rd floor. Are you confident that it won't become a issue? We're planning on leasing for a year and maybe extending depending on our situation later.
User avatar
Rollen
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Jun 7, 2010

Post Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:13 pm   Re: ARGH!! D: I'm screwed guys need help.

Unless the landlord has specific rules, 90 gallons is doable. You just need to be careful where you put it.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:28 pm   Re: ARGH!! D: I'm screwed guys need help.

they never mentioned any specific rules against fish tanks. only thing they mention are cats and dogs and how rent is raised depending on the size. they actually had to forward me to another department in order to get my question answered.
User avatar
Rollen
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Jun 7, 2010

Post Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:47 pm   Re: ARGH!! D: I'm screwed guys need help.

Try getting a room on the 1st floor? Sneaking it up to the 2nd floor is pretty risky if the owner finds out he can kick you guys out and then you guys won't have anywhere to stay. Also the 2nd floor might be built poorly thats why he does not want a 800+ pound object sitting up there that might collapse the floor and injure someone. But since he did not mention any rules on fish tanks then i think you should be good to put it up there. Just ask what the floor can handle because you will have to pay allot of money to repair the floor and buy a whole new tank if things get bad.
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
User avatar
Ranger The Red Ear Slider
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Jun 18, 2010
Location: San Antonio
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:14 pm   Re: ARGH!! D: I'm screwed guys need help.

Yes, you should definetely ask the landlord if the floor would hold the massive weight. Not every apartment floor is built by the book, it could be old or just thin. What material is the building made of? How old is it? If it's a recent, concrete condo then you have nothing to worry about. My 100 gal is on the 2nd floor, and if you think about it it's the same weight as 4 average adult males standing next to one another. Or a hot tub filled with water.. The issue is with wooden floors, or aquariums above 150 gal in any kinda home.
User avatar
Marcus.85
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Mar 11, 2010

Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:24 am   Re: ARGH!! D: I'm screwed guys need help.

http://www.thelakeshoreapts.com/ this is the place we're moving to. I dunno when it was built but you can see that the exterior is bricks. When we walked in to see the place for the first time the whole apartment was carpeted so I have no idea whether the floor is wood or concrete.
User avatar
Rollen
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Jun 7, 2010

Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:09 pm   Re: ARGH!! D: I'm screwed guys need help.

Since it appears to be multiple levels I would think it would be ok. If a fish tank would make the floor give out in a apartment building, then they have more problems than they want to have. Like everyone else has said, ask the landlord. I would just ask them if there is a size limit on fish tanks.
3 baby RES
brandonsdad02
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Dec 19, 2009
Location: Indianola, IA


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 98 guests