Habitat - Indoor :: Wood baking?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:03 am   Wood baking?

Hiya! So the piece of awesome grapevine I had in my tank started growing a white fluffy fungus on the middle of it. I tried scrubbing it with hot water and hydrogen peroxide, but it came back. I'm thinking about heat treating it by baking it. I don't want to singe it or cause it to burst into flames, so, I'm thinking about 300F for a while might do it?
Any suggestions on temp/time?
User avatar
BiteyBits
 
Posts: 232
Joined: May 10, 2010

Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:10 pm   Re: Wood baking?

You might not even need to go up to 300F...160F is enough to kill most living things like bacteria and fungus. A low temp like 200 or the lowest your oven can get to is probably sufficient.

...I may be wrong, though.
-Chris
User avatar
papoopeepoo
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:21 pm   Re: Wood baking?

It'll likely come back no matter how well you clean it.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:41 pm   Re: Wood baking?

Bitey bites---I once tried grapevine in the tank and got the same goopy, whitish film on it, which my painteds started to nibble on. It will eventually come back no matter what you do. Grapevine is not water resistant and is not mean to be submersed (or have ongoing contact) with water. For a basking area, Corkbark, which is water resistant, would be much better and easier to care for. If you want to keep wood submerged in the tank, Malaysian driftwood or Mopani will not develop that film.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:16 pm   Re: Wood baking?

Thanks. I looked for some better wood on Wed and couldn't find any. They are without resting places with it out, so, I'm going to try the baking and put it back in for them and just deal with whatever happens until I can find something else.
User avatar
BiteyBits
 
Posts: 232
Joined: May 10, 2010


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 135 guests