Habitat - Indoor :: fake plants??

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:11 pm   fake plants??

I was at the dollar store today and found fake plants for $1 each so I got two of them, the kind with the weighted bottoms so they sink down and stay there...my turtle's tank is kinda boring so I thought he'd like to hide in them/play with them...but he tried pulling them apart to eat them! I don't really care because they were only a dollar each...but will it hurt him? like if he does swallow bits of the plastic is it bad for him??

sorry its a dumb question.

thanks.
75 gallons. . First-time turtle mom! :)

1 RES - Harley, male, 8yrs, 8 inches
harleysmom
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Aug 3, 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:08 pm   Re: fake plants??

If he does pull off some parts, and if they are small enough, they'll probably just pass through without any issue. I'd probably be concerned if you started noticing some large pieces getting pulled off and him trying to eat those. If that were the case I'd remove the plants. I don't believe the pieces would be toxic but maybe someone will know for sure.
User avatar
seano997
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Feb 14, 2010
Location: WI

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:04 pm   Re: fake plants??

Yea it will be okay everything should pass fine but i would take them out. I was actually gonna warn you that he probably was gonna destroy them but to late haha. You should look into driftwood, i think they make a fun decoration and turtles have a blast climbing all over them.
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
User avatar
Diamondbacks4Life
Moderator
 
Posts: 2349
Joined: Apr 4, 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:59 pm   Re: fake plants??

Diamondbacks4Life wrote:Yea it will be okay everything should pass fine but i would take them out. I was actually gonna warn you that he probably was gonna destroy them but to late haha. You should look into driftwood, i think they make a fun decoration and turtles have a blast climbing all over them.


thanks. I have two pieces of driftwood in there and he doesn't seem to notice them, he just ignores them, it's almost like they aren't there...he is interested in the plants, but he couldnt care less if i have the driftwood or rocks in there. hmmm. well i want to get live plants but he eats them. last time i bought 10 of them, thinking he'd leave at least one for a few days to give it time to grow but he destroyed them ALL that day. ugh.
75 gallons. . First-time turtle mom! :)

1 RES - Harley, male, 8yrs, 8 inches
harleysmom
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Aug 3, 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:32 am   Re: fake plants??

I was thinking of a way to make a small tank inside a tank for plants. While I know eating the plants can be helpful. I'd like a few to last a little while or at least get big enough so when they eat them they don't die or get shredded.

On topic, I had some fake plants and they tried to nibble them. After they learned it wasn't food they left them alone. But like others have said if you notice big pieces missing that could harm your turtle take it out.
All I Want in Life is to be Happy!!
User avatar
Listen97
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Falling Waters WV, US
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:38 pm   Re: fake plants??

i had the same problem with my res squishy so i just took the plastic fanworts out. but i spent 4 bucks on a 2 pack instead of 1 dollar T-T
1 little green dudette that goes by Captain Squishy
User avatar
steamd rice
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Jul 6, 2010
Location: utah


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 58 guests