Habitat - Indoor :: Check out my tank setup

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:20 pm   Check out my tank setup

Image
20 gallon tank
Fluval 205 filter
River rock substrate
Exo Terra Turtle Bank
Fake hollow log for turtle to hide in
2 plastic plants + fake water lettuce floating
Heat light over basking platform + UVB light
2 neon tetras

I added all the hiding places 2 days ago because I wanted to have some fish in the tank and I figured it would give them a better chance of staying alive. However, I started with 5 neon tetras and as of today, there are 2 left. The turtle caught 2 the first night and 1 the second night. I just saw him chasing the other two around the tank like mad, so I guess he'll get them eventually. I still want to try other fish because I think having other creatures in the tank makes it more like an environment and less like a holding tank.

Let me know what you think of my setup and if you have any advice on fish. I might try zebra danios next, as I've heard they are better at avoiding turtles.

I just move the turtle to this 20 gallon from his previous 10 gallon tank, but I already feel like I need a larger tank, especially to accommodate fish and more hiding spots.
shrimmmmmp
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Jun 18, 2010

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:03 pm   

The tank looks great. The only possible problems I can see are how close the dock is to the top of the tank and the rocks.

Your turtle is capable of standing up on his hind legs and if he can reach the lip of the tank, he can pull himself out. You can fix this by adding a cover over the tank that blocks the turtle's escape but doesn't block out the lighting.

the rocks can only cause problems if you don't clean underneath them often enough. Waste gets trapped between and under the rocks that you won't be able to see until you stir them up. So just clean it often enough and you should be good!
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:08 pm   

It seems you have the essential equipment, and it looks good too, but there is always room for improvement. Make absolutely sure that your turtle cannot escape, you may be suprised how well they can climb. Untsmurf is correct that they can almost stand straight up against a 90 degree surface, and pull themselves over an edge. Also, buy a digital thermometer and put it on the basking pad. They are cheap and carried at Petsmart. This way you can monitor the basking temperature (which should have about a 10 degree F difference to the water temp). If need be, relocate the basking lamp.

Otherwise, excellent set up, I think it looks good. Keep an eye out to make sure your turtle doesn't start to eat the plastic plants. He may never do it, but just keep an eye out for it.

-Spike
Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there. Eighty are just targets. Nine are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Oh, but one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back. -Heraclitus of Ephesus
User avatar
Spike 7.62
 
Posts: 503
Joined: Aug 23, 2009
Location: east coast USA


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 128 guests