Habitat - Indoor :: Water Change Question

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:34 pm   Water Change Question

Is it okay to microwave water for a few seconds to warm it up when doing a water change? I will be taking my turtle out during the water change, but I figured this might help me get the water temp back to normal faster, and therefore get him back into his tank faster.

Opinions?
1 Rio Grande RES - 1 Yr Old - J.T.
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26972
User avatar
shedreamsinred
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Jun 12, 2010
Location: MA

Post Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:43 pm   Re: Water Change Question

shedreamsinred wrote:Is it okay to microwave water for a few seconds to warm it up when doing a water change? I will be taking my turtle out during the water change, but I figured this might help me get the water temp back to normal faster, and therefore get him back into his tank faster.

Opinions?


how about just using warm water? although i think microwaved water should ok
User avatar
jozzep
 
Posts: 1497
Joined: Feb 24, 2008
Location: West Orange,NJ

Post Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:35 pm   

I am hesitant to use water that has gone through a hot water heater, since a lot of bacteria could be hanging out in there. Cold water is generally a lot more sanitary.
1 Rio Grande RES - 1 Yr Old - J.T.
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26972
User avatar
shedreamsinred
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Jun 12, 2010
Location: MA

Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:42 pm   

Sure, should be fine, but you've either got a small tank or giant microwave :lol:
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:41 pm   

shedreamsinred wrote:I am hesitant to use water that has gone through a hot water heater, since a lot of bacteria could be hanging out in there. Cold water is generally a lot more sanitary.


That's true, but i'm pretty sure if it's good enough to wash the dishes you eat off of, it should be good enough for the turtle to swim in.
User avatar
jozzep
 
Posts: 1497
Joined: Feb 24, 2008
Location: West Orange,NJ

Post Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:30 pm   

I've always just heated water on the stove and mixed it with cool water already in the tank to bring up the water temp in the tank more quickly.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:22 pm   

shedreamsinred wrote:I am hesitant to use water that has gone through a hot water heater, since a lot of bacteria could be hanging out in there. Cold water is generally a lot more sanitary.


No, no, no.... it's the solder in the hot water tank and the plumbing and the metals and sediment in the tank you're supposed to be afraid of...

I say hogwash - I use warm water to brush my teeth, and wash my dishes... my wife has senative teeth and drinks warm water and we all use warm tap water for cooking...

I'm into taking good care of my pets - but not better than the humans in the family! So if my family can ingest water from the hot water tank, well the turtles can too!

I fill my turtle tanks with 75 degree water from the tap so that I can put them right back in the tank with out waiting for it to warm up.

EDIT - Jozep said it first... I just saw that. I cimpletely agree with Jozep.
TurtleKeeper48
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Jun 14, 2009


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 110 guests