Habitat - Indoor :: Exoterra 5.0 UVB bulb

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:54 pm   Exoterra 5.0 UVB bulb

I bought yesterday the exoterra 5.0 UVB bulb. The problem is that I have my tank in the living room and the light is irritating my eyes. I have the light against the wall in the corner so the light is just pointed in that direction, but still it irritates my eyes. Is it normal because it's a new bulb and needs a burning period? Do you have any suggestion so that I don't have to move the tank from here.
bruno_aleixo
 
Posts: 9
Joined: May 31, 2010

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:37 am   

Yes, it does need a burn in period. Any way you can create a barrier or reposition it? Maybe a different type of lamp housing?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:57 am   

Ok, thanks for your help :) I made a barrier if it still hurt my eyes I think I have to buy a bigger lamp housing cause in this one the bulb is half out.
bruno_aleixo
 
Posts: 9
Joined: May 31, 2010

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:15 pm   

I use the same bulb, but all of them are out of direct eyeline for me, and I've never been bothered by them.

Like Steve mentioned, if you can use a different type of shade, that would help. I've got one lamp over my fish tank (where I use my "spent" UVB bulbs) where the bulb sticks out of the shade. I've just taped some tin foil on the outside of the shade. It's not pretty, but it keeps the bulb out of sight.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:26 pm   

Thanks for the tip, I think I solved my problem. As you said it's not pretty, but the barrier I made is solving it. :)
bruno_aleixo
 
Posts: 9
Joined: May 31, 2010


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 90 guests