Habitat - Indoor :: How many turtles and online or local store?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:41 am   How many turtles and online or local store?

I am in the process of setting up my tank for turtles (converting from fish) and the tank is 72 x 24 x 18 and I am wondering about getting 1 or 2 turtles. I would like to get younger a turtle (or turtles) but have seen many threads on housing multiple turtles and fighting. The tank is large enough to divide if I had to but I really don't want to go that route. Am I just safer getting one turtle or with that much space would I be okay, if so are 2 males, 2 females or a mix better. I am also having a hard time locating turles. I am in south central WI and am looking this weekend at local stores but not much luck so far. I have seen some online places but they always make me nervous. Any know of any local stores around the Madison, Milwaukee, Rockford area or am I worrying too much and is it safe to order online? How many people shop online for live pets and is the shipping a concern. For those that do buy how do they ship them so they have water and a dry area and what happens if they get flipped over?

Jon
jseese
 
Posts: 8
Joined: May 10, 2010

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:55 am   

Last edited by LilTurtSquirt on Sun May 23, 2010 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
LilTurtSquirt
 
Posts: 323
Joined: Feb 16, 2010

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:06 pm   

I have the same size tank as you, I have one female that is about 5.5 inches SCL right now. She is the only inhabitant of that tank. Maintenance is a breeze, and she is perfectly happy and active.

I would stick to one turtle.

I recommend TheTurtleSource.com They are reputable, and have a nice selection. From my understanding, turtles are shipped Next Day Air with a moist towel in a deli container that may include a hot or cold pad depending on your area's current temps. With overnight shipping, much of the danger of extended shipping is diminished.
-Chris
User avatar
papoopeepoo
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:49 pm   

Thanks everyone for the info. The tank is actually 72 1/2 x 18 1/2 x 28 1/2 to equal 150 but I still think I will go with one turtle. Thanks for your help!!

Jon
jseese
 
Posts: 8
Joined: May 10, 2010


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 93 guests