Habitat - Indoor :: Trickle filter anyone?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:42 am   Trickle filter anyone?

Do anyone here own a trickle filter for turtles?
I need to built one and hopefully ASAP but I cant come up with any ideas
I am just a ordinary student so expensive materials are out of my list
That's why i need to ask does a pump cost expensively?
Any concept or ideas to build a perfect trickle filter for turtles?
2 mississippi map turtle
1 pleco
User avatar
turtlebro
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mar 26, 2010
Location: Taiping , Malaysia

Post Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:37 pm   

how big is your tank? You could probably rig one up using the filters you already have and a spare 10 or 20 gal tank but what makes you think you need one? Do you have above 100gal tank?
6'x18''x20''100g 1 4in RES male 1 2in YBS Female
3 baby Peninsula Cooters
2 Senegal Bichirs
2 pictus cats
1 juvie bluegill
30 swordtails and guppies
10 ghost shrimp
User avatar
jay2487
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Dec 10, 2009
Location: Plant City Fl

Post Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:51 pm   

I'm thinking of building one for an outdoor turtle tub setup I'm planning to construct this summer.

I'm basing my plans strongly on this owner's setup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlluUNlKHNI
-Chris
User avatar
papoopeepoo
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:43 pm   

the price ud pay for the pump or even an overflow is gonna be the price of a good filter. unless u have a 100+ gallon id say its not worth it
65 Gallon
-1 RES (Myrtle)
-1 Pleco (unnamed)
-1 four lined pimelodus catfish (unnamed)
-1 shubunkin (unnamed)
29 Gallon Planted Tank
-3 cory cats
-# guppies!
User avatar
rsour24
 
Posts: 1678
Joined: Sep 7, 2009
Location: PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:14 am   

just 75 gallon though
But mapies are very picky for their water quality
So I need to think twice now..=0
2 mississippi map turtle
1 pleco
User avatar
turtlebro
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mar 26, 2010
Location: Taiping , Malaysia

Post Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:28 am   

Have you read this?
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19728

It's not really a trickle filter, but I think the most expensive part of that DIY filter
is the pump. :)
RES - Ramen <f> (51/4")
RES - Heine <f> (43/4")
Asian Leaf Turtle - unnamed <m> (53/4")
measured at Nov 24, 2012
< my turtles' pics >
User avatar
Kemul
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Aug 31, 2008
Location: Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:30 am   

very nice guide
But not recommended for glass tank though
What if i use a pump to suck in the water and another pump to pump out the water
Is that possible?
2 mississippi map turtle
1 pleco
User avatar
turtlebro
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mar 26, 2010
Location: Taiping , Malaysia

Post Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:43 am   

If you use 2 pumps, you have to make sure there's no pressure in the container.
You can do that by putting the container higher than the water level. Otherwise,
the inflow will always be greater than the outflow, creating pressure, and water
will come out of the container. You need to experiment on where to put your filter.
If you can secure the lid of the container very well, you can deal with the pressure
problem. But I found out that water pressure is difficult to deal with... :)

Here's the canister filter I built, using 1 pump:
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21557

Notice where I positioned the canister. If the pump doesn't run, water will come
out of the lid of the canister because of the water pressure. If I raise the
canister, the total flow will lessen.
RES - Ramen <f> (51/4")
RES - Heine <f> (43/4")
Asian Leaf Turtle - unnamed <m> (53/4")
measured at Nov 24, 2012
< my turtles' pics >
User avatar
Kemul
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Aug 31, 2008
Location: Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:51 am   

Darn
Pressure is very hard to deal with
Need to calculate the pressure to fix the problem?
2 mississippi map turtle
1 pleco
User avatar
turtlebro
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mar 26, 2010
Location: Taiping , Malaysia

Post Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:46 am   

No, not really. Just need to make sure the lid doesn't leak or come off because of
the pressure. Here's a pretty good design recently posted in the DIY filter sticky.

Something I didn't think about, probably because it's not what I imagined when I
was thinking about my design, is to use a canister with a screwed lid. That should
be stronger to hold the pressure in, although a little more difficult to open for
cleaning etc. Canister filter doesn't need frequent cleaning anyway, so it should
be alright to use a screwed lid.
RES - Ramen <f> (51/4")
RES - Heine <f> (43/4")
Asian Leaf Turtle - unnamed <m> (53/4")
measured at Nov 24, 2012
< my turtles' pics >
User avatar
Kemul
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Aug 31, 2008
Location: Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 45 guests