Habitat - Indoor :: Egg Crate basking area

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:45 pm   Egg Crate basking area

I bought some eggcrate stuff today to redesign my basking area. I currently have ceramic tile but its hard to my RES to climb up on it when the water is low. What do you recommend for a glue for the eggcrate stuff. I currently have a 2 level basking area with the lower level being in the water and a slope that he climbs up to get out of the water to dry off. Its made out of PVC with a bunch of 90's and 45's to make it all work. I bought some loctite plastix bonder that is a epoxy 2 part mix. Will that work for the new set up?
3 baby RES
brandonsdad02
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Dec 19, 2009
Location: Indianola, IA

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:28 pm   

use aquarium sealent to be safe you dont whant the toxins from the glue to leak into the water
1>juv. res
1>ouachita map <spike><R.I.P>
2>dog<sunny><nikki>
5>african cichlids
1>kitty<marley>
User avatar
coreyvht
 
Posts: 576
Joined: Jan 28, 2010
Location: bonney lake ,wa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:50 am   

The eggcrate is for the ramp? I've used a 2-part aquarium epoxy before will poor results.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:32 pm   

Here is my egg crate basking area
Image
Last edited by ProckNet on Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
ProckNet
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sep 24, 2009
Location: Downingtown

Post Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:17 pm   

I zip tied my egg crate ramp... very small zip ties and cut the extra plastic. made sure the nubs are facing toward the water. (when Lizzy actually does bask she wont hurt herself)
Image


***Added extra grip*** (re-zip tied two jar grip openers)
User avatar
ProckNet
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sep 24, 2009
Location: Downingtown

Post Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:16 am   

Hi guys,

I would love to do something like this. Any idea where I can find some egg crate? I live in NYC.

Also, is it possible to create a tank cover with egg crate? I just got a 20 gallon tank for my RES and I need to find a cover. I was going to buy a wire one online, but if I could use egg crate instead that would be great.

Lastly..what do you use to cut the egg crate?

Cheers :)

Christopher
kissiffer4
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Nov 20, 2009

Post Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 3:19 pm   

I found egg crate at my local Lowe's but it was not in the lighting section, it was in the very back of the store with odd building materials. I used a pair of diagonal cutters to cut it. I was able to get it so close that it snaps tightly into place in the aquarium lip.
Undertoad
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Apr 6, 2010
Location: Valley Forge Nat'l Park


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 103 guests