Habitat - Indoor :: Indoor Duckweed?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:38 am   Indoor Duckweed?

Hello Turtlers,

I've been tossing around the idea of adding some duckweed to my tank. I know that it floats on the surface, is pretty adaptable light wise, and grows pretty fast. Anybody using it? Do your turtles/fish like it? It's probably more common in outdoor ponds. Any and all advice and tips are appreciated! Thanks!
Cayte Catastrophe
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Apr 19, 2010
Location: Filthadelphia

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:20 pm   

I would say go ahead and try it. Theoretically, the turtle's won't be able to eat it all. But I found out that duckweed doesn't like too much current, so it never did well in any of my tanks. I give it a try every year just the same, when it's in season.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:36 pm   

i have some in my planted tank. its not rly growing to great but its not dying. just kinda there
65 Gallon
-1 RES (Myrtle)
-1 Pleco (unnamed)
-1 four lined pimelodus catfish (unnamed)
-1 shubunkin (unnamed)
29 Gallon Planted Tank
-3 cory cats
-# guppies!
User avatar
rsour24
 
Posts: 1678
Joined: Sep 7, 2009
Location: PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:12 pm   

I buy it once a month, and they eat all of it. It does clog filter intakes if your turtles are messy eaters. I do a filter change after the monthly anacharis/Duckweed fest, but it is a serious mess. I feel it's worth it since it's so good for them, but it is not a neat clean process.
2 RES-Sparky M 6.0 and Spike F 9.0
1 Beardie- F Nubbin
1 Pictus Gecko- F Necko
6 Fire Bellied Toads-3 M 3 F
User avatar
scripta_elegans
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1938
Joined: Jul 30, 2006
Location: Iowa

Post Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:03 am   

where can you get it? I've been wanting to add some edible plants to my turtle tanks
RES: Turtley - about 9" (She makes it a mission to measure her. :/)
Musk: Bolt - 4.5"
Mutt: Gaviota - small
User avatar
jwinters
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Feb 18, 2010
Location: Southern California
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:54 pm   

I have had very good luck with Ebay. Sellers are good about saying if they use chemicals, and you can get a whole lot more plants for your dollar!
2 RES-Sparky M 6.0 and Spike F 9.0
1 Beardie- F Nubbin
1 Pictus Gecko- F Necko
6 Fire Bellied Toads-3 M 3 F
User avatar
scripta_elegans
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1938
Joined: Jul 30, 2006
Location: Iowa


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 168 guests