Habitat - Indoor :: ATBA question

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:22 pm   ATBA question

Alright, I know that alot of people have started topics on ATBAs. But with all of those topics I still have one question, how do you keep the wood from rotting or mildewing/molding? I have an idea in my head on how to build the ATBA I want. I want to use plexi glass for the front, a plastic tile I have for the bottom and wire screen for the top and wood for the back and two sides. But I dont know how to keep the wood from rotting. Of course the wood wouldnt even be in the water so I am not even sure if the wood would rot. For all of you who have built ATBAs with wood, how did you keep the wood from rotting?
2 RES-Josie and Wilma
2 Midland Painted turtle - Spike and Penelope
2 Eastern Box turtle- Buttercup and Betty
1 Tiger oscar
1 Albino oscar
2 Jack dempsys
1 Red Devil
1 green severnum
1 Red spotgold severnum
2 Festivums
1 Jaguar cichlid
RR38
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Jun 7, 2009
Location: Glendale, Ky

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:10 pm   

the wood in my ATBA isnt in the water so it wont rot
65 Gallon
-1 RES (Myrtle)
-1 Pleco (unnamed)
-1 four lined pimelodus catfish (unnamed)
-1 shubunkin (unnamed)
29 Gallon Planted Tank
-3 cory cats
-# guppies!
User avatar
rsour24
 
Posts: 1678
Joined: Sep 7, 2009
Location: PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:26 pm   

rsour24 wrote:the wood in my ATBA isnt in the water so it wont rot

yeah, thats kinda what I thought. Since the wood isint actually in the water it wont rot. But what about the high humidity? Wont that lead to mold and mildew on wood?
2 RES-Josie and Wilma
2 Midland Painted turtle - Spike and Penelope
2 Eastern Box turtle- Buttercup and Betty
1 Tiger oscar
1 Albino oscar
2 Jack dempsys
1 Red Devil
1 green severnum
1 Red spotgold severnum
2 Festivums
1 Jaguar cichlid
RR38
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Jun 7, 2009
Location: Glendale, Ky

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:36 pm   

It depends on the wood. Another option you can do is egg crate, which is plastic. Egg crates with tiles.
1 Mississippi Map Turtle 3.25'' (Landslide)
1 Ouachita Map Turtle 4.0'' (Hurricane)
The rest of the turtles have been adopted to good homes. :)
User avatar
n00bEmpty
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Jan 18, 2010

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:59 pm   

What about marine grade paint?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:28 am   

how about clear polyurethane?
----------------------------------------------------
1 RES: Boris the Blade
1 Norwegian Forrest Cat: Cricket
1 fat tabby: Pete
1 fiancé: Steve
10,000 dust bunnies
Cayte Catastrophe
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Apr 19, 2010
Location: Filthadelphia

Post Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:16 am   

Could always try a turtle topper too :P I dont have one, but its an easy alternative
User avatar
Zepher30
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Feb 16, 2010

Post Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:45 pm   

Well, I built the ATBA today. Used ssome white ash and sprayed it with polyurethane. And Zepher30, I have a turtle topper for my 55. I cant use a topper on this tank, its a 120 gallon. Penn plax and the rest of the reptile industry needs to start building stuff for people who have large turtles :x . As hard as it might be to believe, some people actually keep adult turtles.
2 RES-Josie and Wilma
2 Midland Painted turtle - Spike and Penelope
2 Eastern Box turtle- Buttercup and Betty
1 Tiger oscar
1 Albino oscar
2 Jack dempsys
1 Red Devil
1 green severnum
1 Red spotgold severnum
2 Festivums
1 Jaguar cichlid
RR38
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Jun 7, 2009
Location: Glendale, Ky


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 120 guests