Habitat - Indoor :: The black bar on top of tanks?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:34 am   The black bar on top of tanks?

On some tanks I've been looking at then there's usually a black plastic trim around the the top with a black bar passing the middle. Do you need it, like can you cut it off?
1 Mississippi Map Turtle 3.25'' (Landslide)
1 Ouachita Map Turtle 4.0'' (Hurricane)
The rest of the turtles have been adopted to good homes. :)
User avatar
n00bEmpty
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Jan 18, 2010

Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:37 am   

I think that is just for a lid that snaps on or something...your tank dont even need all the trim its self, it just has that to make it look nice and to make it balance. if you take off all the bottom trim it wont do anything to the tank...same with the top, but if you take off the top trim it will be hard to use a glass/plastic lid..
DarkGenoc1de on Playstation Network
SINI5T3R
 
Posts: 1570
Joined: Feb 26, 2010
Location: Casa Grande, Arizona
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:31 am   

on some larger tanks, that bar that runs through the middle is there for structural stability. In other words it keeps the tank from bowing out and breaking at the top.
2 RES-Josie and Wilma
2 Midland Painted turtle - Spike and Penelope
2 Eastern Box turtle- Buttercup and Betty
1 Tiger oscar
1 Albino oscar
2 Jack dempsys
1 Red Devil
1 green severnum
1 Red spotgold severnum
2 Festivums
1 Jaguar cichlid
RR38
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Jun 7, 2009
Location: Glendale, Ky

Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:52 am   

if your trim doesn't have a cross-bar like it does on most tank aver 50 gallons, it's probably safe to take it off. Just be carful of the sharp glass edges, of course.
-Chris
User avatar
papoopeepoo
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:24 pm   

Dont take the trim off. It there is a center brace don't remove it. Its there for a reason. I had a 46gal Bow front and I was told it was ok to cut it for a project I was doing. As soon as I did cut it I watched the walls of the tank bow out 1/4 of a inch more.
3 baby RES
brandonsdad02
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Dec 19, 2009
Location: Indianola, IA

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:48 am   

ya i wouldnt thats there to make the tank stable
1>juv. res
1>ouachita map <spike><R.I.P>
2>dog<sunny><nikki>
5>african cichlids
1>kitty<marley>
User avatar
coreyvht
 
Posts: 576
Joined: Jan 28, 2010
Location: bonney lake ,wa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:11 pm   

i would play it safe and leave it. I tried taking one of a smaller tank and all that happened is it cracked the tank.
Skids
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Jan 8, 2010


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests