Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:06 am
A regular pleco will do the same, but they are not as aggressive. I wouldnt let a CAE get above 4 or 5 inches before trading it in, a common pleco, depending on the size of your turtle I'd trade in at 6 to 8. Yeah really, a CAE will actually attack a turtle. When mature they get downright mean, almost carnivorous, they wont eat as much algae and they will start attacking stuff. I have seen them kill discus fish by locking on their sides and eating holes in them. But even a common pleco, when it gets so big, can stick to the turtles shell and hold him down til he drowns. When he tries to surface the fish comes out of the water first and freaks out, swims back down and drowns the turtle. It has happened and can, so get rid of them when they get so big, and get rid of that CAE when it gets about 5 inches or starts getting aggressive. Also, I'm telling ya, my commons get bit right on the face daily and swim away like it was nothing if they move at all, they are heavily armored and tough as nails.
6'x18''x20''100g 1 4in RES male 1 2in YBS Female
3 baby Peninsula Cooters
2 Senegal Bichirs
2 pictus cats
1 juvie bluegill
30 swordtails and guppies
10 ghost shrimp