Habitat - Indoor :: Question about using WOOD

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:07 pm   Question about using WOOD

Okay I have been using Wood for my turtles to bask on, but I am running into a slight problem.....Sinking...

After about a week the wood floats to the bottom and stays there lol. This is just some basic wood cuttings that I found outside in a giant pile, so Its fairly clean, I made sure to clean it before putting it into the tank anyway.

My question is, is there some sort of stuff i can sprey, wipe, or something that will like tarnish the wood so it will float better? I know there is something like that but I cant remember the name...and can it be toxic in water with turtles/fish?
SINI5T3R
 
Posts: 1570
Joined: Feb 26, 2010
Location: Casa Grande, Arizona
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:11 pm   

ya anything like that will probably toxic for them even if it says non toxic

you should get a zoomed dock for 20 bucks make it alot easier and if your water is kinda yellow its prob from the wood its not toxic though
1>juv. res
1>ouachita map <spike><R.I.P>
2>dog<sunny><nikki>
5>african cichlids
1>kitty<marley>
User avatar
coreyvht
 
Posts: 576
Joined: Jan 28, 2010
Location: bonney lake ,wa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:13 pm   

coreyvht wrote:ya anything like that will probably toxic for them even if it says non toxic

you should get a zoomed dock for 20 bucks make it alot easier and if your water is kinda yellow its prob from the wood its not toxic though



You know, I actually JUST Started noticing color change in the water last night and I thought to myself that it had to be the wood, it looks like the water got dirty and when i have the window open so they can get sun, it is sorta yellow...what is it? should i change the water sometime soon?
SINI5T3R
 
Posts: 1570
Joined: Feb 26, 2010
Location: Casa Grande, Arizona
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:16 pm   

Last edited by coreyvht on Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1>juv. res
1>ouachita map <spike><R.I.P>
2>dog<sunny><nikki>
5>african cichlids
1>kitty<marley>
User avatar
coreyvht
 
Posts: 576
Joined: Jan 28, 2010
Location: bonney lake ,wa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:27 pm   

soory itss in this video

fast forward to 5 min on it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlluUNlK ... re=channel
1>juv. res
1>ouachita map <spike><R.I.P>
2>dog<sunny><nikki>
5>african cichlids
1>kitty<marley>
User avatar
coreyvht
 
Posts: 576
Joined: Jan 28, 2010
Location: bonney lake ,wa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:30 pm   

o and he calls it tanit
1>juv. res
1>ouachita map <spike><R.I.P>
2>dog<sunny><nikki>
5>african cichlids
1>kitty<marley>
User avatar
coreyvht
 
Posts: 576
Joined: Jan 28, 2010
Location: bonney lake ,wa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:34 pm   

Its tannins, its a naturally occuring chemical in wood. it doesnt effect the water really just colors it. I would change the water as it can start to stain stuff. Usually all the tannins leave the wood after a couple days and it will then stop coloring the water that tea like color.
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
User avatar
Diamondbacks4Life
Moderator
 
Posts: 2349
Joined: Apr 4, 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:53 pm   

the tanin stays alot longer then that watch the video
1>juv. res
1>ouachita map <spike><R.I.P>
2>dog<sunny><nikki>
5>african cichlids
1>kitty<marley>
User avatar
coreyvht
 
Posts: 576
Joined: Jan 28, 2010
Location: bonney lake ,wa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:47 pm   

Very helpfull Thanks! glad i found this site
DarkGenoc1de on Playstation Network
SINI5T3R
 
Posts: 1570
Joined: Feb 26, 2010
Location: Casa Grande, Arizona
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:41 pm   

welcome
1>juv. res
1>ouachita map <spike><R.I.P>
2>dog<sunny><nikki>
5>african cichlids
1>kitty<marley>
User avatar
coreyvht
 
Posts: 576
Joined: Jan 28, 2010
Location: bonney lake ,wa
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 112 guests