Habitat - Indoor :: Best fish to keep with baby RES

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:07 pm   Best fish to keep with baby RES

I have a RES that's smaller then 2 inches, what fishes do you suggest to live with it?
1 Mississippi Map Turtle 3.25'' (Landslide)
1 Ouachita Map Turtle 4.0'' (Hurricane)
The rest of the turtles have been adopted to good homes. :)
User avatar
n00bEmpty
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Jan 18, 2010

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:26 pm   

any fish is never guaranteed to survive with a RES. i used to keep guppies with my RES they are good since they can breed kinda fast. id also recommend rosy red minnows. i just bought some for my RES nd they r so fast that they r living so far. but as for a fish that is guaranteed to live with a RES thereis none. but stay away from goldfish whatever u decide to try
65 Gallon
-1 RES (Myrtle)
-1 Pleco (unnamed)
-1 four lined pimelodus catfish (unnamed)
-1 shubunkin (unnamed)
29 Gallon Planted Tank
-3 cory cats
-# guppies!
User avatar
rsour24
 
Posts: 1678
Joined: Sep 7, 2009
Location: PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:28 pm   

I know no fish is guaranteed to live with a RES but I'm wondering which fish. I read that otos and rosy red minnows are good but I just want some more suggestions.
1 Mississippi Map Turtle 3.25'' (Landslide)
1 Ouachita Map Turtle 4.0'' (Hurricane)
The rest of the turtles have been adopted to good homes. :)
User avatar
n00bEmpty
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Jan 18, 2010

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:59 am   

n00bEmpty wrote:I know no fish is guaranteed to live with a RES but I'm wondering which fish. I read that otos and rosy red minnows are good but I just want some more suggestions.


Rosey reds are a good choice, so are feeder type guppies. If you are looking for something a little more colorful that don't cost a lot I think Mollies and Platties are pretty safe too, but wait until he is bigger. I would skip the Otocats. They have barbs. I had a gold fish try and swallow one whole and get it stuck in his mouth. The turtle could PROBABLY handle it, but I wouldn't chance it sticking in his mouth and choking him, especially with a little guy.
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
User avatar
imderanged
 
Posts: 1824
Joined: Dec 25, 2007

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:30 am   

I was thinking of feeder platties but it wasn't on the suggested food so I wasn't sure.
1 Mississippi Map Turtle 3.25'' (Landslide)
1 Ouachita Map Turtle 4.0'' (Hurricane)
The rest of the turtles have been adopted to good homes. :)
User avatar
n00bEmpty
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Jan 18, 2010

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:32 am   

Generally most fish that is found in river that contains RES are safe for RES to eat. Try neon tetra? they are beautiful.
1 RES
1 convict
2 black neon tetra
3 Minnow
Lilsaint
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Nov 28, 2009
Location: Oak Park, CA USA

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:33 am   

n00bEmpty wrote:I was thinking of feeder platties but it wasn't on the suggested food so I wasn't sure.


I put Mollies in with Pickle one time and there were no ill effects (for Pickle anyway :twisted: ) but I wouldn't use a larger fish like that until he's a bit older. I can tell you from experience if the fish isn't "bite-sized" it's going to be a MESS when he does eat it.
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
User avatar
imderanged
 
Posts: 1824
Joined: Dec 25, 2007

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:18 pm   

Are they fast? Because my RES isn't the quickest swimmer and they'll have plenty of places to hide when I get my stuff.
1 Mississippi Map Turtle 3.25'' (Landslide)
1 Ouachita Map Turtle 4.0'' (Hurricane)
The rest of the turtles have been adopted to good homes. :)
User avatar
n00bEmpty
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Jan 18, 2010

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:38 pm   

if you are going for speed just go with rosy reds
65 Gallon
-1 RES (Myrtle)
-1 Pleco (unnamed)
-1 four lined pimelodus catfish (unnamed)
-1 shubunkin (unnamed)
29 Gallon Planted Tank
-3 cory cats
-# guppies!
User avatar
rsour24
 
Posts: 1678
Joined: Sep 7, 2009
Location: PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:45 pm   

I picked up some rosy red minnows for feeders and had 3 minnows, 4 guppies and one gold fish in the bunch (pet store doesn't separate since they're all feeders). My two turtles wont touch the gold fish, don't even bother it. Two of the guppies were eaten but the other 2 stay away and hide from the turtles. Also, looks like we're going to have some pet minnows since they're too fast for the turtles and they're growing like crazy. I'd agree with everyone else that if you just want fish in there the minnows are a good bet.
fritz
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Jan 4, 2010

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:15 pm   

Yeah I had 11 rosies and they were all gone in less than 2 days! :roll:
1.0.0 RES-Slash
1.2.0 Cat-Abby/Cali/Nemo
0.1.0 Yorkie-Lucie
1.0.0 Jack Russell Terrier-Cooper
I have lots of ideas! Trouble is, most of them suck!
User avatar
PcBuilder14
 
Posts: 1754
Joined: Jul 3, 2008
Location: Maud, Texas

Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:56 am   

I just bought 10 rosy red minnows, 2 fancy orange guppies, and 2 black fish forgot the name.

They ate in 5 minutes all the minnows, and 1 orange guppy.

They don't bother the black fish maybe because i heard they cant see them?
dangsdunks
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Dec 31, 2008

Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:30 am   

Eh, I bought 4 minnows. In a 30 gallon tank with 4 hatchling on them without some place to hide then they didn't stand a chance. By the end of the day the turtles were celebrating.
1 Mississippi Map Turtle 3.25'' (Landslide)
1 Ouachita Map Turtle 4.0'' (Hurricane)
The rest of the turtles have been adopted to good homes. :)
User avatar
n00bEmpty
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Jan 18, 2010

Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:35 pm   

n00-ty - In answer to your question: what ever you want to feed them. Some will last longer than others, but they will get eaten. It will be all at once or a nip at the time.
mikee
 
Posts: 1396
Joined: Nov 4, 2007


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 72 guests