Habitat - Indoor :: Filter too strong?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:18 am   

Alright, I got creative with it. The Rena XP4 made a current at first, it pulled my turtle in. After a while, I made the output point down. It came with a net thing for the input so my turtle couldn't get stuck. Right now the water is really calm, clean (I can't even see something in the water, not even the tiniest spec but what do you expect from a 265 gallon filter for a 15 gallons of water) and my turtle seems more active since it's not trying to get away from the bad stuff in the water. I also raised one more gallon in the water to make it 15 gallons, good enough for a 1.5 inch turtle. All I need is the UVB/UVA fixture. I have the mercury vapor bulb in my room right now, I just don't have a fixture to hold it in. Think I might go to pet smart to pick something up.
1 Mississippi Map Turtle 3.25'' (Landslide)
1 Ouachita Map Turtle 4.0'' (Hurricane)
The rest of the turtles have been adopted to good homes. :)
User avatar
n00bEmpty
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Jan 18, 2010

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:12 am   

Mercury Vapor Bulbs are not recommended for tanks smaller than 55 gallons. Since the bulbs get so hot they can throw the temperature of the water up and down too quickly, this is not healthy for your turtle.
-Chris
User avatar
papoopeepoo
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:59 pm   

papoopeepoo wrote:Mercury Vapor Bulbs are not recommended for tanks smaller than 55 gallons. Since the bulbs get so hot they can throw the temperature of the water up and down too quickly, this is not healthy for your turtle.

I know it's not recommended but I'll give it a try and monitor the water. I was thinking of the Exo-Terro Glow Halogen. But I could just pick up two generic lamps from Target and get the Compact Flourescent and a Incandescent bulb. But I have the mercury vapor right now...... actually I have two mercury vapor bulbs. How long is their shelf life?
1 Mississippi Map Turtle 3.25'' (Landslide)
1 Ouachita Map Turtle 4.0'' (Hurricane)
The rest of the turtles have been adopted to good homes. :)
User avatar
n00bEmpty
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Jan 18, 2010

Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:58 pm   

TurtleKeeper48 wrote:I'd be really concerned about that big filter with the turtle being so small. The turtle doesn't have to get completely sucked up the intake pipe to get hurt - there was just another post recently about a turtle getting it's foot stuck in an intake pipe and drowning.


That happened to one of my adult turtles with a XP3, luckily I saw him in time before he drowned. His leg was puffy and purple when we got it out for a few days! Those stupid plastic inlet tubes come off so easily, after that I silicone it and it's still fell off again.
User avatar
DocShay
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Oct 31, 2007

Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:45 pm   

Mine is doing fine for right now. I know those plastic pines come off easily so I pulled it in really hard. Took a lot out of me to take it apart. But my turtle is doing fine for what I see. He had his foot on the net thing and he easily just swam off. You could use some non toxic duct tape.
1 Mississippi Map Turtle 3.25'' (Landslide)
1 Ouachita Map Turtle 4.0'' (Hurricane)
The rest of the turtles have been adopted to good homes. :)
User avatar
n00bEmpty
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Jan 18, 2010

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:18 pm   

Alright, I got all the basic needs for a turtle but now I want to make his tank more interesting. I'm about to place an order for some stuff at Foster and Smith. Here's some stuff I'm getting:
Biomedia stars
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/P ... catid=3605
Water Conditioner
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/P ... catid=4038
Thermometer x2
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/P ... atid=12089
Fake plants
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/P ... atid=18481
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/P ... atid=18482
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/P ... atid=19771
Plastic Cave
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/P ... atid=21411
Sand
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/P ... atid=21432
Is there anything I should change?
1 Mississippi Map Turtle 3.25'' (Landslide)
1 Ouachita Map Turtle 4.0'' (Hurricane)
The rest of the turtles have been adopted to good homes. :)
User avatar
n00bEmpty
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Jan 18, 2010

Previous

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 120 guests