Habitat - Indoor :: Mercury Vapor Bulb

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:52 pm   Mercury Vapor Bulb

So I'm in the process of finishing up an ATBA and was thinking about switching to a MVB (I currently have a separate heat and UV bulb).

What are the basics I need to know about using an MVB? How much do they cost? How long do they last?

Do pet stores sell the bulb and necessary fixture or do I have to buy it online?

Can I clamp it on to the side of my ATBA or do I need to suspend it in a different manner?

Thanks for your help!
honeeb6
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Nov 9, 2007

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:57 pm   Re: Mercury Vapor Bulb

honeeb6 wrote:So I'm in the process of finishing up an ATBA and was thinking about switching to a MVB (I currently have a separate heat and UV bulb).


What are the basics I need to know about using an MVB? How much do they cost? How long do they last?
You need to figure out what distance to place it so the temperature isn't too hot.
Depending on the brand they cost from $35 to $50.
Some last over a year.


Do pet stores sell the bulb and necessary fixture or do I have to buy it online?
Most sell the fixture, and "some" sell the bulb.

Can I clamp it on to the side of my ATBA or do I need to suspend it in a different manner?
You can clamp it, but check the temperature as previously stated
User avatar
jozzep
 
Posts: 1497
Joined: Feb 24, 2008
Location: West Orange,NJ

Post Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:21 am   

I use a MVB and the directions on mine said it had to be 12 inches from the basking spot, so I found I needed to suspend it instead of clamping it. I bolted a plant hanger to the wall and hung the ceramic socket fixture (the clamp lamp w/out the clamp)

I am really happy with the MVB too, Pickle basks a lot more then when I used a separate heat bulb and a compact fluorescent.
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
User avatar
imderanged
 
Posts: 1824
Joined: Dec 25, 2007

Post Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:56 am   

I recommend suspending the fixture instead of clamping it. The bulbs need to be straight up and down, and also need to be at a safe minimum distance from the turtle's shell.
-Chris
User avatar
papoopeepoo
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:28 pm   

thanks for the info guys! once the trauma of Penn almost drowning today (see my post in the general care section) subsides I am going to get everything set up. I'll post pictures once it's all done!
honeeb6
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Nov 9, 2007

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:53 pm   

Just a note on the reptile mercury vapor bulbs.... most of them like the powersun UV are self balasted. So you can put them in any ceramic socketed fixture capable of handling the wattage. A hardware store metal "clamp light" will work just fine as long as it's rated for the same or greater wattage than the bulb you choose to install.

The suspended light idea is great.... you can adjust the height of the fixture/bulb from the basking area to control temperature.
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 130 guests